• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3570K CPU Questions on GHz speed and Turbo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

essartee4

Registered
Random question thats making my head hurt.

So i have the 3570K.
Default clocks at 3.4GHz (3.8Ghx Turbo)

on my CPU-Z its posting 3800MHz during idle

Shouldn't it post the 3.4GHz? What is this "Turbo" stuff? Seems to be in the "Turbo" 3.8GHz on idle?

Take a look at Task Monitor to see if you are really at "idle". Could be something running in the background or something like this guy's problem.

0% CPU
3.8GHZ

cpu.png

I can't remember which one it is, but did you turn off "Speedstep" in BIOS? I think it's either that or something similar which makes your CPU speed change based on need. If it's off, it will just stay at a constant clock.

Which BIOS settings have been changed?

I have not changed anything in the BOIS other than messing with memory speeds.

Take and look and see what the default setting is for "speedstep".

Here's a guide for Ivy bridge overclocking on Asrock boards which I've found very useful.

Nope.

Turbo is supposed to work under loads not idle. Did you put a load on the PC and see if it boosts?

Expected. Turbo wont work if turbo isnt enabled. :thup:

Think you answered the question yourself. With Speedstep disabled, Turbo also disapears from the BIOS (assuming disabled as well). No, it does not boost MHz with prime running.

This is really starting to frustrate me. I haven't touched anything in the BIOS and its turbo boosting at idle. What exactly should i do? Disable Turbo/Speedstep or???

Have you tried to load optimized defaults from the bios? Flashed to the newest BIOS (sorry if these have been covered before)?

Honestly, I wouldnt worry about it as there is no harm.

Not sure how to load "optimized defaults".

I will try a new BIOS and drivers. I did notice my Multiplier goes back and forth from x36 to x38. Normal?

Not sure how to load "optimized defaults".

I will try a new BIOS and drivers. I did notice my Multiplier goes back and forth from x36 to x38. Normal?
Should be an option in your bios...Under Exit I think (Load defaults).

Yes, that is normal, that is turbo boost. Boosts when it needs it (supposed to be anyway, LOL!)

Back