• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocking a CPU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nenekoxkun

I have an Intel I7-2600 3.4 GHz processor and decided it was time to OC it.

I followed a tutorial on how to overclock the CPU found in this forum, and from what I can tell it was successful. I have a Fatal1ty motherboard, which comes with software to fine tune your CPU clock and I've been using that to keep an eye on the clock speed and clock cycles. I clocked my cpu at 4800 MHz and used my computer like i normally would. I kept an eye on temps and CPU usage throught a round of League of Legends(a game I play often) and the cpu temp ranged from 53-61C, and it idles around 45-48C. I am assuming this is a good thing but I thought I'd ask.

yea those temps are fine but you might want to stress test it to be safe,
you dont want to have something happen one day and have your system lock up
and you not realize your cpu is stuck at 100% and cooks itself.
use something like THIS let it run for a good while til you no longer see the cpu temps changing and abort if you start to hit the 80-90c range fast.

And when you open CPU-Z, check what's shown as the current Vcore (Core Voltage) both at idle and while running Prime, IBT, or LinX. On average figure in the neighborhood of 1.45V for a 4.8GHz clock.

Back