• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wiring multiple LEDs to one switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

Hi all,

I'm wondering how I would go about wiring multiple LEDs to one switch. I have a Bitspower block that supplies both 12V and 3.3V power to multiple LEDs and I want to be able to switch two (or more) LEDs on and off with a single switch.

Currently, using two LEDs as an example, I have them wired as such:
Circuit1.jpg

I'd like to be able to turn these on and off without doing so at the 12V supply level, as I'll be using other LEDs connected to that same Bitspower block that I'd like to control separately.

I was thinking of using rectifier diodes (please correct me if I'm wrong) and wiring them up like this:
Circuit2.jpg

Is my theory sound? And if it is, what rating of diodes do I need for 3.3V LEDs? (Sorry, I'm not very experienced in electrical circuits.)

Would there be another way to wire these? I'd rather not have to use resistors and the 12V terminals from the Bitspower block (it would defeat the whole purpose of getting that block).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

LED are diodes, so that isn't needed.
What you will need are current limiting resistors, one per LED or string of LEDs wired in series. Using low voltage doesn't remove the requirement of running resistors.
What size resistor depends greatly on the LED in question.

If you replace the diodes in your second example with resistors, it'll work perfectly.

What color LEDs? What LEDs, for that matter?

Hey Bobnova. Thanks for helping me out.

The LEDs in question are two of these and the power block they'll be attached to is this one.

Would I be right to assume that, seeing as they come pre-wired ready to plug into your motherboard, that the necessary resistors are already in place? Is there any way of knowing just by looking at them?

Thanks again, and I hope these threads aren't too much of a nuisance...

Given the voltage spec being there, I think those already have resistors wired in line with them.
In that case you can use your second schematic, just without the diodes.

Oh, that bit of news makes me very happy indeed (doesn't take much, I know). Thanks for that! It'll make things much easier for me knowing this. Cheers!

Back