• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP!!!!!!! Making my first RAID0 Array

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatoGod

Hello fellow overclockers, I am here today to ask you guys to lend me your knowledge on setting up a Raid0 array on the z77 chipset. I have a Maximus V formula mobo and already know how to make a drive raid in bios. However the trick is what comes after. I also need to know if I will face any problems setting up a raid0 array when one of my drives already has a os and 60gb of data already on it. BTW the drives i am using are 2x120gb corsair force gt ssd's. I really want that performance increase and to be able to carry over my newer games onto it. I already think there will be a problem seeing as how I dont know how the second drive will stripe what the first already has. Nonetheless I hope to hear from you guys soon, any input is appreciated.

When you build the RAID0 - all data on the drives you include in the RAID0 array will be destroyed/overwritten.

Backup the data you want to keep, create the RAID0 - install your OS (remember to have a F6 driver ready on USB or similar)

So will I need to buy win7 again or will the product key still be good? Also what is an F6 driver?

Could I just copy my entire existing os and data on my current ssd to a hdd, have hdd as my boot, do the raid, load os then copy os back to ssd array then set up a backup after all is said and done?

Yes you can use your Win 7 again, you might need to activate it again though.

The Z77 chipset uses native Intel SATA3 controller, so just head on over to intel.com and get the F6 driver

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21852&lang=eng&wapkw=11.6.0.1030

If you use 64 bit OS - get the "f6flpy-x64.zip" unzip it and copy to a USB drive.

In the beginning of Windows install it will ask for additional drivers, thats where you press F6 and use the RAID driver on your USB.

When Windows is up and running, install the Intel RST package - "iata_enu.exe"

*Your drives will be wiped out when creating a Raid array.
*With Windows 7, I didnt know you needed to get those drivers to create a RAID array...pre install. I thought it was RST once in windows and go?

That said, why are you putting SSD's in Raid0? Do you deal frequently with large files/transfers?

Back