• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC and fan speed on a GTX 670

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

I got a few questions about OC, as I have never done it before.
Got my new GTX 670 FTW with 4GB of memory in (well after the first one was RMA) and I thought I would try OC it. I know the 680 is faster but I heard a 670 could easily OC to get to its level. I downloaded the Precision X software from EVGA and it made it look so easy...I just bumped it up to 1200Hz. But is that really it? That is all there is to it? Is this software any good? Don't even notice the difference in speed :shrug:

Also I am curious about the temps I am getting on it, it can get upwards to 80C after only a few minutes of play, is that bad? Because I see I can set the software to control the fan curve and that keeps the temps lower but its so loud when using that!

With software like this it is as simple as this, just go in to settings and ensure the start at boot is selected for your settings, so that the OC is maintained on reboots, but first ensure it is stable at these speeds, i.e. playing games etc.

I usually use MSI Afterburned as you can also control the voltage, never tried EVGA own software on my EVGA GTX 670 FTW (2GB version, as the extra VRAM was not important as I only game on a single 27" screen).

The FAN can get loud, but it help keeps temps down. I usually game with a headset, so I never notice the fan which is fine for me, but my girlfriend does get annoyed lol. I keep my temps around 45-50C with about a FAN speed of 65-70%; but I very rarely OC the card as I cap my FPS to 70 on my games anyway. So I only OC if I game is not maintaining 70 FPS which it rarely does with this card.

On my 680, The highest I need the fan set to is 50% to keep temps under their magical 70C throttling speed (lowers turbo/boost speeds at that temp). Create a custom fan profile in MSI Afterburner is what I would do...

MSI Afterburner sometimes doesnt actually change the voltage I switched to precision because of this....

Set your clocks then run something like Heaven Benchmark afterwards to stress test it, or furmark etc...I care more about cool cards then fan speed so I let it go to 100 percent by 60c.

Voltage is essentially automatic on nvidia cards anyway. 1.175 max so long as its under 70c.

It really is sounding like my 80C is a cause for concern, as that is only after 10 minutes of gameplay. No idea why mine are so high.

It really is sounding like my 80C is a cause for concern, as that is only after 10 minutes of gameplay. No idea why mine are so high.

Above 70C can cause thottling on some GPU's. But sometimes it doesn't occur till late 80's.

What FAN speed do you have it running at when it is at 80C?

I am like theELVISCERATOR and let my fan speed go to 70% by 50C, so my card always remains in low 50C mark, have never seen it above 56C and it mostly is 48C average.

What type of pressure is in your case? i.e. more intake fans than exhaust fans? How many fans are in the case?

If you can take a photo of your fan graph maybe we could point some tips for you.

Let me clarify a bit more... 80C isnt a bad temperature. It will however limit the BOOST speeds on the card. It is not a safety feature because the temperatures are too high. If you want full boost, keep temps under 70C is all.

BTW something else is wrong, either high ambients or bad case cooling, I run about 51c playing Crysis 2 1920x1080 DX11 ULTRA High Res Textures installed....

Heres a screen showing 50c and fan is on auto.....I have the Windforce OC to sigged speeds.

c2.jpg

just increase the fan curve for the card, have the fan kick in a little sooner and have it kick up to a higher speed like 70-80%. beyond that what case and cooling do you have?

Precision X allows you to OC it, but each card will have their own limit. and I think at around +60Ghz to +80Ghz on your 670, and you will be near the limit. that being said, 1200Ghz is the speed I run it at too for BF3, should work just fine.

temp wise, get a side fan man, I find that actually drops the temp by like 5-10'C easily.

I have a side fan...it died a few days ago :/

And mine idles around 40C, could just be because my side fan is out? It is not a warm room by any means, it is the living room so it is very big, very open.

Good case and good case cooling is the KEY ! ( GOOD cable management help ).

GTX6xx series have alot of live monitoring and even if you try to OC to 1400mhz, the card will just downclock/downvolt if temps and power target are off some predefine values.

Keep GPU temp under control and you will have much more consistant OC. I currently run 110% power target and NO OC on MSI AB and my card run ~1100mhz while gaming from its 947mhz stock clocks. Only letting the card use a higher power target will result in an OC cause the card will use it as a boost if the temp are fine.

** I have an accelero TTII on my card, temps are ~50°c while gaming and all this in silence :) **

Stock/reference cooling will get louder if you OC and try to keep temp under 70°c.

I run 1293mhz core on my 670 FTW 2gb...I did replace the stock TIM with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra. Dropped temps by 15c on average! :D
I also modded the bios to allow 1.213v core voltage, which also changed the max Kepler boost at stock to 1293mhz.
I have a custom fan profile which maxes at 70% when exceeding 55c or something like that, works well. I don't really have temp throttle anymore cause of the modded bios though, but I'd rather run the thing cool.
Nice card for gaming, waiting to sell it though...

Yeah I got the 4GB because I play with Nvidia surround when I can :) It actually doesn't put much extra load on the GPU now that it has the extra memory. A lot of games running at that resolution actually exceed 2GB. Sold off both of my 560's for this thing...hoping it wasn't a mistake :S With the fan curve up a bit I can keep it around 70C, which is loud but not unbearable. Haven't noticed a huge difference in fps yet though :p

KGB bios unlocker is the best way to mod your bios. Search KGB + xtremesystem on google.

ive modded my bios with KGB but mostly for the fan profile. My stock bios was limited to 30-80% fan speed .... since i have an accelero TTII on my GTX670 i can use lower and faster fan speed without hurting cooling and silence.

Back