• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Totally random black screen freeze while gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flagstang

Registered
So, many of you guys have probably heard about this issue before.

This happens in both BF3 and Prototype 2 (haven't played other games in a long time).

My system has really sufficient water cooling (or bad overclock, lol) so temps are not the problem.
There's plenty of power available.

I've searched on google about this and almost every time, the response is that the RAM is faulty. I've done two passes of memtest V.4.20 (took 2 hours and 45 min), and the result was fault-free. I dunno if the access to system info has a say in it, but it look correct on my laptop (just restarted the test to show the difference):

Desktop:
xkns5dB.jpg.png

Laptop:
QP0pdya.jpg.png

People also say that it might be the HDD that's got some bad sectors. I did some long and short generic runs with "Seatools for windows" and it said all of my drives were fine, so I guess we can rule that out as well.

I've tried resetting my overclock to stock clocks, but then it just takes longer time for the game to freeze and get black (like 3½ hours instead of ½-2).

This is pretty annyoing, I'm glad they've implemented an auto save in prototype 2

It turns out it was something GPU related. I updated the driver from 310.90 to 314.07 and it haven't crashed for 5 straight hours.

Hopefully the new drivers take care of the issue. If it comes back, there is an issue identified by Microsoft with some NVIDIA cards which can result in the display driver timing out causing a crash and the driver recovering (or sometimes not recovering resulting in a black screen):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

I used to have random driver crashes under high graphics loads in certain games with my 570, especially with older NVIDIA drivers. The were reduced with newer drivers but never completely went away until I ran this fix. I think it has something to do with Windows telling the card to do something, but it is so busy with the game it just takes too long to get through the queue.

More info:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368

Back