• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Titan on i7-3770K v. Titan on i7-3930K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BenTriskelion

I am planning on building a new gaming computer using a Titan GPU and I noticed that whilst the i7-3770K supports a PCIe v3 connection the i7-3930K only supports PCIe v2. Systems running the i7-3930K seem to get a higher rating on 3DMark (2013, Fire Strike Extreme) despite what I would assume would be a slower connection with the graphics unit.

I would like to know what the advantages of running the i7-3770K versus the i7-3930K would be, if any.

Also, I have heard that the i7-3930K is an excellent processor for overclocking, is the i7-3770K as good for that?

Thanks!

3930k dont support pcie 3.0 "on paper" but most of the motherboard and CPU will support it. Only brand i saw with PCIe 3.0 issue is EVGA X79 line up. So both will be fine with the Titan.

BTW, PCIe 2.0 x16 or PCIe 3.0 x16 are both plenty to feed a Titan.

If you are a pure gamer, you never ever need to pay the premium for a 3930k and the X79 motherboard. You will have a better price/performance ratio with a good Z77 board and a 3770k. Even a good clocked 3570k is enough for gaming.

+1 all you really need is i5 3570k for gaming anymore is just a waste for gaming because you could run tri SLI off that CPU.:cool::popcorn:

BenTriskelion, I see you stated "Gaming and Overclocking" the i7 3930K is a great CPU rocking Games and Overclocking with ease. Nvidia made a PCI-E 3.0 hack and it works. Give a read here http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...sion/L3RpbWUvMTM0MDIyMzU2OC9zaWQvaDEzbE45X2s= I have build rigs with the i7 3770K and it is fast, Gaming and Overclocking Rocks! Both CPU's will Rock a Titan or two :) The question is will you need and use more cores? If your going 3 way SLI go with the i7 3930K, Socket 2011 as it has support for 40 PCI Express lanes running from the processor to the graphics card slots. :)

Last edited:
Listen. An i5 2500K SB overclocked to 4.5GHz wouldn't be a bottleneck on a GeForce Titan so save some money and get the i5 3570K.:drool:

+1

Dont listen to people who say you NEED a 3930k only for gaming. NM if you run 2 or 3 GPU, a good clock I5 is enough. Get a 3770k if you sometime encode or do anything really CPU dependant.

Paying ~300-400$ more for a X79 setup vs a Z77 setup is a waste. You are better to spend that 300-400 on a better GPU, more SSD space or anything usefull for you.

my only question about gaming:

do you mod skyrim? with lots of script heavy mods? if the answer is no, than i5-3570 is the recommendation for gaming. with lots of script-heavy mods, more threads would be good, ie i7-3770k.

the x79 platform is a real gamble, since you're basically betting that x79 will be around long enough to upgrade the CPU in the future with whatever comes down the line in 4 years. the other sockets (1150, 1155, 1156) intel can't quite seem to make up their mind about, but 1155 seems like it'll be around for awhile, yet. the other gamble w/ x79, is whether you think that next gen gaming (ie after the ps4 and xbox next launch) will finally see multi-threading (CPU related) and 2k high res textures(VRAM related). (current gen use 512 x 512 textures)

right now, the only game that might need a 3930k is heavily modded skyrim. with lots of scripted mods (like Vilya, Ceri, warzones, DFBs encounters, immersive patrols, forgotten magic, apocalypse magic, dragons hunt in swarms, ) all turned on at the same time. and my guess is that a 3770k would run it just fine.

unless of course you really WANT the x79 + 3930k. then by all means go for it! just be aware that it's gonna cost twice as much for little gaming performance gain. if you're fine with that, so am i.

delicious crispy golden brown bacon is on the table.

I was unaware that Skyrim could use six cores.

As far as gambling on platforms.........

This is the last year for the 1155 platform. Haswell is 1150.

Ivy bridge E will use the same 2011 platform that Sandy E does.

I was running a 1366 for the longest time and was way overdue for an upgrade. I was looking at the x79 platform and thought that was the one for me.

After some research and recommendations from the guyz here, I went with the Z77 and a 3570K over the socket 2011 and I am not disappointed at all.

Does everything and handles everything I toss at it for less than 1/2 the cost of the 2011.

I was running a 1366 for the longest time and was way overdue for an upgrade. I was looking at the x79 platform and thought that was the one for me.

After some research and recommendations from the guyz here, I went with the Z77 and a 3570K over the socket 2011 and I am not disappointed at all.

Does everything and handles everything I toss at it for less than 1/2 the cost of the 2011.

Just wondering what do you run that you could see 1366 vs 1155 and how much did you gain?:)

Socket 1366's won't bottleneck jack either, CPUs are so much more powerful than GPUs its ridiculous, GPUs need to catch up so we don't need 2 GPU's to play a game moderately well -_-

Back