• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for my little rig...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I have swapped my AsRock B75M-ITX for an AsRock B75M (mATX), with the intent to get another 7870, and CF them. Dont ask my why, but im nuts.

At the moment i have a Corsair GS800 PSU, which is just fine, apart from the fact that i feel it may be over doing it? :shrug: (and i feel the GS800 would be better used in my mining rig)

The rig will (once done) be following setup.

AsRock B75M
Intel i7 3770
2x 4Gb Kingston 1333Mhz ram (may change)
2x 7870 2Gb CF
1x OCZ Octane 2 64gb SSD
1x 250Gb Sata2 disk
1x water pump
3 or 4 gentle typhoon 120mm.

Would a 600watt Bronze rated handle this fine? or could I go lower? 550watt?

There will be OC'ing on the 7870, but only mild oc.

Last edited:
You'd have enough OC headroom with a 500W PSU.

Finding a 500W PSU with enough connectors for XFire will be the challenge though.

As long as the PSU has 4x PCIe 6-pin connections you should be fine.

If you have the option of modular, take it, especially in a small case.

As long as the PSU has 4x PCIe 6-pin connections you should be fine.

If you have the option of modular, take it, especially in a small case.

I dont mind using 4x 4 Pin Peripheral Connector to make the last 2x6 pin connectors.

I am buying used, so it wont be a Modular, i would love one, but that may happen later on.

I dont mind using 4x 4 Pin Peripheral Connector to make the last 2x6 pin connectors.

I am buying used, so it wont be a Modular, i would love one, but that may happen later on.

If you're going to make connections with adapters, just make sure you won't overload the +12V rail(s).

http://www.overclockers.com/his-7870-iceq-x-turbo-x
7870 review with crossfire and OCing power numbers.
564w at the wall with both cards OC'd balls to the wall with the CPU at >5GHz.
That was an 80+ gold unit, so around 88% efficiency that gives us 496w internally.
A good 500w unit with DC-DC secondaries can manage it. 550w for some breathing room. 650w for some genuine excess.
This assumes 1.3v to the GPUs and Lots of Volts +5.2GHz to the CPU.

http://www.overclockers.com/his-7870-iceq-x-turbo-x
7870 review with crossfire and OCing power numbers.
564w at the wall with both cards OC'd balls to the wall with the CPU at >5GHz.
That was an 80+ gold unit, so around 88% efficiency that gives us 496w internally.
A good 500w unit with DC-DC secondaries can manage it. 550w for some breathing room. 650w for some genuine excess.
This assumes 1.3v to the GPUs and Lots of Volts +5.2GHz to the CPU.

The CPU cant overclock at all any way, so that wont happen. I wont be doing any volt change, since the cards are volt locked, so i think i will aim for 550 maybe.:salute:

Back