• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor choice help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stafil

Hello good people.
Recently i posted about my new gaming pc that i am making.
These are the specs:

Psu - SEASONIC SS-760XP2
Board - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/GEN3 R2.0
Cpu - AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
Ram - Kingston hyperx 1600 16 Gb
Graphic - ASUS GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB
Hdd - SEAGATE 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600
Sdd - KINGSTON 120GB SSD SATA600 HyperX 3K

I was thinking about getting a new monitor too.I want to replace my 19" Samsung 931BW that has been serving me well for about 5 or 6 years.

I narrowed my search to 2 monitors.Both are Asus.
Asus VG248QE and Asus VS278Q.
Bassicaly, i am building a PC for gaming.So, do you recommend 27" monitor with 60Hz refresh rate, or 24" monitor with 144Hz refresh rate? I read a lot about how some people notice the refresh difference, and some don't.I think that IPS monitor will not suit me, because of the big response time. So i am really stuck here.Maybe you can suggest some other models for me?My budget is around 350$.

As someone who has had several 120/144hz panels along with a few korean IPS panels, I feel I can offer some insight.

If you PRIMARILY game on it, the easy choice is the ASUS VG248QE, 120hz + lightboost in fps games makes a world's difference from gaming on a 60hz panel. I feel that those disagreeing with how smooth it makes games and desktop, have not had experience with anything but 60hz.

Now, on the other hand, there are Korean IPS panels, with such rich and vivid colors you would be surprised at the difference in colors you are seeing as detailed as it is. You won't notice lag on the IPS so don't worry so much about the higher ms.

NOW, for starters I can easily recommend both panels, just not for you. To get all the goodies from 2560x1440( korean IPS), you will want SLi at the least to get the most from it, unless you like playing games at lowered settings.

Thus your only realistic choice is the ASUS VG248QE

PC will be mainly for gaming.No photos editing or anything like that.Maybe some AutoCad and ProEngeneer, but that isn't so important.
I will be satisfied to have picture quality like i have on my Samsung 931BW.I assume that Asus will have similar, if not better quality.
I don't have the budget for SLI option.And i read on some places that 1920x1080 is low for 27" monitors.And on top of all, i come from Serbia, and prices are a little crazy here. 27" 2560x1440 IPS is waaaayy too expensive for me.It's about 550$ at least. :/
So i think my only option is ASUS VG248QE than.I hope it's the right choice for me. :)

Don't get me wrong those IPS are GREAT, especially when it comes to photo editing and just wanting true colors in general.

And yes, 27" 1920x1080 is small on the resolution side of things. But, once you get your monitor, visit the blurbusters blog relating to your monitor, they have a guide on how to enable lightboost at all times for your monitor. 120hz + lightboost is simply a sweet spot for gaming, enjoy your new screen.

Outside of the smoothness you will get with that asus that NO IPS on the market can mimic, you should be able to get a Crossover Q27 or so for under $400 via ebay.com. A lot of IPS sellers on ebay offer worldwide shipping so I'm sure you could find one cheap if you DID want to go that route

I checked ebay. Lots of nice deals there...But i noticed that there is only 1 year warranty for this model, and Asus has 3 years warranty.And beside that, I got used to my 2ms monitor, and i am afraid i will notice the difference on ips monitors.Since i am primarily gaming i think i will go with Asus. :)

Really, that 2ms is more for marketing. Enjoy your new monitor though, make sure to check out blurbusters for lightboost, it's a nifty nVidia only technology.

Back