• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psittac

reinstalled windows, pc is crashing (pre-existing problem may have caused me to require install, was impatient cause everything is supposed to be instant)

anyways I don't know if it could be a hardware or software issue.

ssd tested healthy before reinstall, haven't tested it since.

don't have msi afterburner on yet but full screen gaming doesn't crash.

No idea where to start looking, went back to stock clock and still having the problem.

issues:
#1 when I lose video signal it doesn't come back (going full screen or for power saving, sometimes I think even randomly lose signal) this is all random

#2 everything will lock up with no response, gave it 10-15 seconds tonight and it came back. One time the screen went white with an audio buzz cause I was playing music and it didn't come back after a minute.

any thoughts on what to look at?

so far as I know all the proper drivers are in and windows is up to date (windows 8) had no problems at all with previous install. Essentials should be back to where they should be, maybe newer versions of drivers aren't happy? Windows isn't fully up to date because windows 8 won't let me say "update now", just says updates will be installed.

meh, brain broken, don't want to deal with it, need ideas.

Psittac, I deleted your other thread. Please only create one per topic.

Well, my system was having similar issues, and I pretty much narrowed it down to the PSU or the motherboard. Just got a new PSU today, so if it freezes again....

Just saying, that could be the issue.

I really hope it's not a hardware issue, can't afford to replace anything on this, built it back when I had extra money to spend.

I did a clean install but perhaps there was one already installed by windows?

My Linux days are over, not dedicated enough to use it. Never tried a live cd so I don't know what it requires but other then gaming I don't care much lol. Honestly if it takes that much work argh that'll suck, if it gets to that point I'll look into it. I'm assuming you mean do this to see if it's a hardware or software issue? Is it as simple as burning an ISO and loading from the rom? I guess that's not to difficult.

But anyways I came here to say that last night I changed it so spotify doesn't auto load and I've had no problems today, no guarantee cause it doesn't happen every night but I hope that's the problem.

The Live CD simply allows you to boot into the OS without installing it. I use it for troubleshooting to see whether a problem is hardware or software related.

I uninstalled video driver a few days ago, blew everything out with a can of air and put the oldest driver evga had listed (still past my last install date). So far so good.

Maybe it's that I didn't use an evga driver, think I just got the standard NVidia driver.

Well heres to hoping it's fixed, thanks for the help

Back