• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990FX & AMD FX-9370

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pastulio

Registered
I recently bought an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard with an AMD FX-9370 Black Edition processor, Patriot Extreme Performance Viper 3 16GB of RAM, an EVGA GeForce GTX 760 video card, and an ADATA SP900 SSD, along with a 750W PSU and an aftermarket CPU Fan.
Everything was working 100% fine at first. After I gave it to the person intended for, they used it for about one day. Now the system freezes-up when what seems to be load on the CPU. Does anybody know the Voltage Levels for this Processor, and or have any tips/advice for this build?

What cooler is it using? "Aftermarket CPU Fan" doesn't tell us much at all.

What case? How many fans?

That and you built it for someone else and it freezes up, did someone do silly things and load it up with viruses etc?

Yeah a bit skimpy on many details at any rate.

My gawd at the lack of vital information. Most of those cpus by default run at least 1.5V as the cpu calls for from the mobo. And if not adjusted the CPU_LLC is probably on AUTO and that will bump the voltage on up some more. Based on what we have seen with the 9370's once they go inside a case they better be in a super ventilated case or just running in a stock configuration, they may overheat and freeze.

Of course what sort of freeze is happening is key to what might be the problem. What is really happening at the time of the freeze. Sounds like you are going to have to get the rig in your hands.
RGone...

Could be the 16Gig of patriot viper not playing well. Like others have said we need more info.

I don't have a FX9xxx chip yet but I built a system with GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev 3.0 and FX-8350, and I had problems just trying to install the OS (freezeing, BSOD, random reboots) turned out I had to tweek the ram voltages, never had to touch the CPU voltage.
Also make sure that after market HS can handle 220W or more.

Specifications

Chassis: NZXT Guardian 921 ATX Mid-Tower [model: G921RB]
PSU: Ultra 750W [model: U12-42467]
MoBo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-9370 Black Edition [model: FD9370FHHKWOF]
CPU Fan: Enermax ETS-T40-BK
RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance Viper 3 (2x8GB) [model: PV316G186C0KBL]
RAM Fan: Kingston HyperX [model: KHX-FAN-B]
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Video Card [model: 04G-P4-2768-KR]
HDD (C:\): ADATA SP900 256GB SSD [model: ASP900S3-128GM-C]
HDD (D:\): Toshiba 2TB HDD 64MB [model: PH3200U-1I72]
CD-Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS BluRay [model: BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS]

I've also added 1 generic 140mm to the upper rear of the computer case.

That is the entire hardware list of this rig. Everything on it however is running in default/auto configuration from initial assembly.
I did acquire the computer back to run some software to see if there is any viruses on it or not, but the person swears up and down that they only used it for two days on StarCraft II.
I have yet to run any tests though, also I couldn't figure out how to use this Non-BIOS BIOS ... !? (it's got a mouse cursor and visual feedback aside from just rawText ... weird...) :p

As far is it crashing though--err, freezing. It seems to just randomly freeze up, either when in an idle/unused state or when stressed. More often of course when there is stress on it. I assumed that the timings weren't configured properly, or that the voltage levels weren't adequate. In any case, I couldn't figure out how to adjust anything in the BIOS ... ... regardless,, I am going to run some scan-crap & test the system as well as look for viruses(*).
I'm confident though that the problem is that the systems Auto-Default settings for this setup aren't appropriate for the build. -maybe.

There is no way that CPU cooler will keep up with the CPU. Especially with a 760 dumping heat into the case as well.

Only one extra (probably crappy) fan in the case? Not enough airflow.

Edit: That "Non-BIOS BIOS" is called UEFI. Its not exactly new...

I couldn't find the manufacturer url related to the CPU anywhere (as far as voltage levels & temperatures and such)

*gonna update/edit after I get the current temperature readout*

There is no way that CPU cooler will keep up with the CPU. Especially with a 760 dumping heat into the case as well.

Only one extra (probably crappy) fan in the case? Not enough airflow.
+1

Prior to installing the O.S. when I initially built it I loaded into the BIOS--or EUFI--and saw that the settings defaulted it to 4.41GHz & 1600MHz RAM, which was plenty sufficient for the current use of the computer. After I installed the O.S. I ran some system checks and made sure everything was running optimal, and everything was running stable. The person only wanted it specifically for two games, and I figured it was running just fine as is, enough so to run just two games for the time being.
Regardless, the computer runs just fine until the O.S. is loaded. I've ran some CMOS(DOS/w.e.) virus & system checks, and everything is running just fine.
A very faint smell of "burning-Plastic" does protrude from the case however, so I think it may be just that the HeatSink isn't dissipating enough heat from the CPU.
I don't think it will be a problem for the time being, as far as the CPU being "fried" or anything ... iDoubt that's the case. Imonna find out in a day or two once the new HeatSink arrives though.
Currently I think it's just a RAM issue.

What's this "new heatsink" you've ordered?

Do you know how to set RAM TIMINGS?

Cooling these FX83XX and FX9XXX cpu's takes a bit of effort. Nothing sort of the BEST air cooling or AIO water cooling need apply. Using substandard cooling will not end well.

What is this new cooler you have ordered?

I'm with the others here, that CPU spikes to 1.5v+ and there's no way an Air cooler is going to cover the fast rise in temp. I ran a 9370 with a ThermalTake Water 2.0 extreme with 2500 rpm fans in push pull. I didn't need the added fan speed unless I was testing with P95 but the TT stock fans weren't enough IMO.
It is possible that CPU could run stable undervolted but that takes a lot of testing and definately set that ram up properly. The FX we've seen can have issues with Corsair and just left on Auto could increse that possibility.

As other have stated, you are going to need really good cooling. I'm using an H100 Push/Pull and after an hour of priming @4.6Ghz 1.45V and I'm pushing 60C. If I hit 62C, cores start crapping out. Thermals are the only thing keeping me from going higher. No way I could run a 9370 1.5v with an H100 and keep it at a stable 60C or below. Maybe the new CPUs are better at higher temps. Both my 8120 and the 8320 I upgraded to are both unstable at any temp over 60C.

As far as memory goes I have 4x4GB 2133 Corsair Dominator Patinums. Can't get 4 sticks stable at 2133 to save my life. 4 Sticks are only stable @ 1866 with 9-10-9-27-1T timings. I can get 2 sticks running 1866@9-9-9-24-1T or 2133@9-11-10-27-2T but not 4. Took a while playing around and testing timings to keep the system from freezing.

Cooling these FX83XX and FX9XXX cpu's takes a bit of effort. Nothing sort of the BEST air cooling or AIO water cooling need apply. Using substandard cooling will not end well.

What is this new cooler you have ordered?

I'm using a V6GT on a FX-8350 with temps under 40c max load running Folding @ Home, Cooler Master has a new Air cooler made for the FX9xxx chips called the V8GTS made to cool 220W chips. (it looks like the head of a Transformer) :rofl:
V8GTS

Last edited:
I'm using a V6GT on a FX-8350 with temps under 40c max load running Folding @ Home, Cooler Master has a new Air cooler made for the FX9xxx chips called the V8GTS made to cool 220W chips. (it looks like the head of a Transformer) :rofl:

But what kind of overclock are you looking at?

I would like to clarify that if left on auto the 9370 doesn't use 1.5v continuously, t only runs at 4.4 with a 4.7 turbo which doesn't kick in stress testing. The voltage fluctuates quite a bit, I would also like to add that if left at default the CPU_NB volts stay around the 1.45v mark which I think is ludicrous. I've had this processor for quite a few months now and only recently tested it at default just to observe it's behaviour. I believe that a good AIO wouldn't have any issue at stock but we have seen a couple in here who had a lot of trouble trying to tame this thing when running all cores fuul on and that wasn't at 5.0 either.

Back