• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED How bad is it for the heatsink to touch the case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gotaro

Should I worry about my video card's heatsink bumping against the metal grill/vent on the case? Is that going to cause a short?

A picture says a thousand words.....

But I don't think it'll cause a short, but then stranger things have happened.

Perhaps it's time to look into getting a larger case?

It isn't going to hurt anything touching the case.

If you have electricity running through the heatsink, you have some serious problems.

It isn't going to hurt anything touching the case.

If you have electricity running through the heatsink, you have some serious problems.

+1 - I have a 212 Evo in my lanbox which is in a smaller Apex case. It hits the side panel and bulges out a little, and it works fine. Aside from a defective stick of RAM I never got around to RMAing :D

Okay, thanks. That makes sense. I had just been seeing people warn about heatsinks making contact with metal and wasn't sure what it was all about.

I could see an instance where if the case wasn't properly grounded (which is hard to accomplish) you could pass static through the case and it would seek ground through the heatsink to the mobo via your cpu. AFAIK, modern mobos are all grounded to the case already.

It would be an incredible circumstance where the case/heatsink isn't grounded. The power supply case itself is grounded, which is bolted to the case. This means the case itself should be grounded. The motherboard mounting points are grounded and bolt to the case tray through metal standoffs, which means the motherboard is grounded.

I wasn't 100% sure psu's were ground to the metal case or only to the ground tab on the receptacle.

Although *highly* improbable, still possible I suppose.

Back