• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v adapter can it be done to run fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demon-eater

okay last night as I was laying in my bed trying to sleep, I was pondering how am I going to keep the fans running on my radiator while the pump is on? For you see my pump will be submersed and ads heat to the water, I have found that that probably won't be too cool (/ \ @). I won't be turning off my pump cause you would have to plug it back in, and since my parents and siblings use my main computer the one I want to water cool I thought id try and keep things simple. So heres what I want to do is use a 12v adapter to run 6 80mm fans that are going to be on my radiator, you know those adapters that are used on alot of things like phones, ect ect those thingys. Now my question is would it be too much strain on the little thing?? cause last nite I tested it out with a old 7.5v adapter that i don't use any more and it worked and i plugged three fans into it, by splicing the wire coming off of the adapter.

so what do you think?

Some of the Ninetendo and Sega console power adapters are quite beefy in the amount of amps they can put out, I pick them up at the thrift stores whenever I see them, usually just a buck or so. Anyway, got one Sega one here that's rated 1.4A and I'm running a laptop off it. So look at the stickers in the hubs of your fans, add up the amps and see if you can find an adapter that betters that. Also an idea would be one of those old commodore power bricks for a C64, they're quite good, and common.

regards,

Road Warrior

Back