• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

so many choices

Hey guys would it be better to udjust the multiplier, or the fsb? Is there an advantage of one over another. I'm still trying to see if my athlon 1000 will go any higher. Right now i have it at 1160 just using the fsb, it's stepping is ajfa. I have the vcore at 1.85 and could use some input. I tried running it at 1200 but it would lock up on me here and there.

Maybe its just my processor but I would realy like to see if I could push it even further so help me out guys, I mean you guys are the pro's and I'm just getting into it. For 2 days now I've done nothing but try to get more out of it so this is my last resort.

Thx again, in advance for any help you guys might be able to help me with.

I would definately unlock the multiplier. If I'm thinking correctly, you've got a 7.5 multiplier. Hitting 1160 would be 7.5X155, and 1200 would be 7.5X160. Those are some pretty high FSB speeds. Most likely your RAM or something other than your processor is holding you back.

The average overclock for a TBird 1000 is 1344 MHz according to the cpu database. If you've got an AXIA or AYHJA you should be able to do better than that with good cooling. So definately grab a pencil and unlock that puppy! :D

so many choices said:
Hey guys would it be better to udjust the multiplier, or the fsb? Is there an advantage of one over another. I'm still trying to see if my athlon 1000 will go any higher. Right now i have it at 1160 just using the fsb, it's stepping is ajfa. I have the vcore at 1.85 and could use some input. I tried running it at 1200 but it would lock up on me here and there.

Maybe its just my processor but I would realy like to see if I could push it even further so help me out guys, I mean you guys are the pro's and I'm just getting into it. For 2 days now I've done nothing but try to get more out of it so this is my last resort.

Thx again, in advance for any help you guys might be able to help me with.

First of all WELCOME TO THE FORUMS:D :D

what do u have for cooling? u should be able to get a bit more out of it then that also what motherboard ram ect....... list your system specs and it would be eazier to help ya out ok :)

wow, I think I need some sleep!

I just checked and my post from earlier is completely off. My multiplier is set to 11.5 and my fsb is 100. I have a Cooler Master HHC 001 that i just got 2 days ago when this all began. My motherboard is an asus as7v and i have 1 stick of 128mb of samsung pc133 along with another samsung 256mb with another generic brand of 256 mb.

I dont realy know what the vcore does so should i keep it at 1.85?

It sounds like your multiplier is already unlocked. If your chip is an athlon 1000, the default multiplier is either 10 or 7.5, depending if it's a 100 or 133 FSB chip.

So, if you're currently running a 11.5 multiplier, it's unlocked. To get the best performance, I would go to a 133 (or higher) FSB. I'd try 9X133 or so for starters. It sounds like you have a good enough heatsink.

umm if u ment asus a7v then u probly wont get much out of the fsb so hopefully u can unlock it and that mobo will support letting ya change the multiplier

bobt17 said:
umm if u ment asus a7v then u probly wont get much out of the fsb so hopefully u can unlock it and that mobo will support letting ya change the multiplier

I think the asus a7v only allows you to change the fsb to 110. Is it the KT133 or 133a? You won't be able to do much with the fsb on a kt133. Try the multiplier.

yeah its already unlocked. The multiplier was originaly set to 1.0 and now i have it set 11.5

I have an asus asv133 and on my bios it allows me to change my fsb much higher than 133 but right now i have the multiplier at 11.5 and the fsb only to 103:( I realy was trying to get it to atleast 1200 but it woulc crash on me when i try.

What are the advantages of adjusting the multiplier over adjusting the fsb?

Anyone care to tell me what the vcore does?

so many choices said:
yeah its already unlocked. The multiplier was originaly set to 1.0 and now i have it set 11.5

I have an asus asv133 and on my bios it allows me to change my fsb much higher than 133 but right now i have the multiplier at 11.5 and the fsb only to 103:( I realy was trying to get it to atleast 1200 but it woulc crash on me when i try.

What are the advantages of adjusting the multiplier over adjusting the fsb?

Anyone care to tell me what the vcore does?
Lower your multiplier and raise your fsb. You will get better performance with fsb (more bandwidth) than with using the multipler.
The vcore is the voltage that the proc. is running at. A bump in vcore will ussually let you go faster to a point. Your procs. stock vcore is 1.75 and I believe that your board is maxed out right now at 1.85 unless you do a vmod on it. A vmod will let you go over the boards top vcore setting.
Try using a multiplier of 9 and fsb of 133 and see what happens this will give you 1200.

Like mustangman said your will need to up the vcore to achieve higher speeds. Especially with the tbirds uping the vcore is very helpful. Some people bump up the vcore to as high as 2.3.

I think I finaly got it to run stable using a multiplier of 9.0 and an fsb of 133 like you guys recommended. I got the temps down lowering the vcore to 1.80 and using a pringles can for an air duct.

once you pop you can't stop:p

so many choices said:
I think I finaly got it to run stable using a multiplier of 9.0 and an fsb of 133 like you guys recommended. I got the temps down lowering the vcore to 1.80 and using a pringles can for an air duct.

once you pop you can't stop:p

Hey thats a great idea! and better than paying for one of those $10 plastic ducts. Did you see any decrease in temps?

Yeah I got my idle temps to 38 with it on from 43 and my temps after running sandra to 42 from 45.

I also put another fan on one side of the pringles can and had it blowing towards the heatsink.

I have done the same thing, but with a can of salt for my fish tank.. have it blowing right into the HSF and dropped my temps by 3 to 4c ..

Ducting

For my ducting, I went to a local junkyard (it has everything from old computers to old cars ;-) ) and got some nice ducting off of an old car. The hood was off and there, right in plain sight, was a 2-3 ft piece of nice black 3" ducting tube. I took it home, lopped off the length I needed, and it looks and works great!

Back