• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best board for athlon xp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iconboy

Registered
hey i apologize in advance if this has been posted before...

i want to know what is the best board for an Athlon XP processor- i want to get a 2G when it finally comes out! and i want the board to support upto 4G of Registered RAM :) is there a stable MB out there that can do this?

well i wouldnt say theres one specific mobo thats best with an xp. Tho the most popular ones seem to be epox and iwill. I like the epox's personally :D And practically all the new mobo out will suppose the new cpus. :burn:

Iconboy, you should try out the search button up top in the right hand side:)

there are hundreds of "best mobo" threads with a lot of great info. most people arent gonna answer every one, u should always run a search before u post, all of us do it.
it always works out better for u that way, u get more info than can post any questions u might have about it:)

u should do a bit of reading in the AMD mobo's area too.
but i prefer epox boards all the way.
-Malakai

ive never heard of epox before, i just want the most stable motherboard out there that supports 4 G of DDR ram, and i dont mind if the price is a little high...

I did actually do a search, but there was just wayy too much non related stuff that came up that i decidded to just post the topic, so i apologize again ;)

I think the only mobo that has 4 ddr slots is the Abit. However I hear that there are problems with it. You can get a Dual Asus as well, but those are expensive.

Abit KR7A133-RAID is a good board and it kicks ***. It isn't as popular as the Epox, but I wasn't too thrilled about it either, guess what? It rocks. It beats the Epox's scores, has the RAID and ATA133 option. I've seen way too many sites rating it as most stable Socket A board.

Everything is done through the bios.

To add to that, I'm running on the 4th dimm slot, so there's no problems, there's just problems when you mix different brands.

Yodums

What do you need 4 gigs of ram for?:D I'd say if you really wanted to go all the way 1 gb would be plenty.

unless your runing a VERY BUSY server, even with the page file off, youll never fill 1gig of ram unless your doing A/V work.

and even then 1 gig is plenty.

that just goes too far past overkill to be called overkill anymore.

and no prob, hope your getting the info u need.

Dont listen to Yodels, he works for Abit and is always pushing their products, sneaky little bastid:D
im joking haha, he doesnt really work for them, he's an "outside consultant":DLOL
-Malakai

Malakai said:
that just goes too far past overkill to be called overkill anymore.

That goes into the region of "My **** is bigger than yours" *jk* :D

I like my Asus A7V266-E RAID a whole bunch. It's fast and stable, and has lots of overclocking features. It also supports up to 3GB of RAM, which is close to what you're looking to buy.

4 Gigs of RAM is really a waste of money, just get one Gig, and with the rest of the cash that you saved, you can get a Geforce 4 Ti4600 and like a hard drive.

if you really want to use 4G of ram. The only board I found that work well is Tyan 2466N. It support dual processors. I have 2 XPs running in the same board with 4G of ram boot up fine. The boot screen recognize all 4G ram and 2 cpus. btw, this comp is for work big server. To my dissapointment, however, is that the bios and the OS reserved almost 0.5G of ram. The Linux OS can only use 3.5G total and can only use up 3G max per process.

If you really want to use more than 3.5G ram. The only way is get a 64 bit computer or wait for the hammer system

Back