• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vaseline/petrolium jelly for dielectirc grease?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tft

Is it ok to use vasoline or petrolium jelly (the same thing, just a different name) in place of dielectric grease inside of your socket. I heard that vasoline will attack some plastics, but will it make that much of a difference? Will it do mcuh harm in the long-run?
Any info would be much appreciated.

High tempuratures shouldn't be a problem in this case, as usually you only insulate your socket when you plan on using extreme cooling, where condensation could form, etc..

ok, so it won't mess with the plastic then.
I'm not really worried about the temps because I'm going to run a water/antifreeze mixture from the my freezer to the WB. The vasoline is only there to prevent condensation. The temps should be sub-zero at all times, so it probably won't run, right?
Also, just to make sure, vasoline won't conduct at all right?

Why would you take a chance on having problems with hundreds of dollars worth of equipment over a 99 cent tube of dielectric grease you can buy at any auto parts store?

Vaseline will work, but it dries out after a while and also (as stated before) gets very runny when warmed up.

Get the dielectric grease.. it's simply worth it.

shoot, that means I'll have to wait to tomorow to do the mod. Oh well, you do make a good point ptcg, It's not woth the risk. Thanks for the info

The best use I've ever heard of for vaseline is to get a couple of cotton balls and really saturate them with the vaseline. Then use the cotton balls as fire starters to start a campfire. Vaseline is nice and flammable and will burn for 10 to 15 minutes on a cotton ball. That's plenty enough time to get a campfire going! No joke!

Back