• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harmony 665 Review - Universal Remote Control

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Harmony665.png

I just purchased a brand new Harmony 665 Remote today for $69.99 at Best Buy and got it to work.
There is definitely a need for these in the market and Logitech Harmony is the name brand people naturally associate with universal remotes.
So I never really owned a universal remote in the last 30 years but heard of them over the years. Here's what happened when I looked into this:

In 2021 there is a perception that Logitech abandoned this market. Old models are selling on Amazon for enough money you can buy a used car with.
No basic new Harmony remotes are selling on Amazon unless they are used. Maybe this is because of shortage of parts, but I found a new one at Best Buy and bought it at the store. You can really only find model 665 that's somewhat affordable, others are high end hubs and such.

When you turn this remote on, it says
"Welcome to your harmony 665 remote... Press the right arrow..."

This needs to be more specific as to which right arrow, people with no prior knowledge are not going to see the arrow on top, they will naturally keep pressing the MAIN ARROWS [next to OK button] then they will try Fast Forward right arrows. These are wrong arrows that immediately make people think their remote is frozen and defective. Frustration = not a good first impression.

The cord is 23.5 inches long. It is not even 2 feet long (!)
It is so short that it can dislodge the micro USB connector on the remote itself when it resists being pulled more - we *definitely* need a cord that is longer than two feet.

And no other microUSB cord works, only the 23.5 inch one that comes in the box. So it must be a non-standard cord?
The price should be fifty bucks for this on sale at stores. $70 or $80 or more when on sale is too much.
It's a basic remote, the feature that would justify a high price is being able to control more than 10 devices.

But it works - LOVE the way you just download codes right into it, for whatever device you have!
Recommended.

We have 3 of them in our house. They work well. Regarding inability to find them -- Logitech discontinued manufacturing their harmony remote series a few months ago.

They said they would support new codes for time to come though.

I suppose there is no way to have a download of the codes, instead of relying on Logitech to keep them available?

Back