• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap Cooling Solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kbird

Most of these fans are leftovers, go get those old fans out!

I posted this in the TH7-II forum, I think it prob belongs here instead. The mods may delete one or the other. Sorry for the mix up.

Picture%206.jpg

Picture%207.jpg

Picture%202.jpg

Hi I would just like to say thanks to everyone. I think this forum has helped me more than any other support for overclocking and other need to know issues for speed. Here are a few crappy pictures for you budget overclockers. Please forgive the mess of wires at the top that will be fixed later. I’ll start from the top, I connected two exhaust fans together which increased exhaust flow significantly. The retail cpu fan has an extra fan zip tied on top of it. Just make sure the fans you’re connecting together go in the same direction. I know that sounds apparently obvious, but I had to discover that This extra cpu fan increased my retail fan reading to 3552 rpm, before it read 3150 to 3195. This fan also cools the ram a little. Just below is a radio shack blower very old by the way, not sure if they sale them any more. I got a slot cover and bent it to fit the blower right onto the stock Abit heat sink. To attach the fan to the slot cover, just bend the end over to make a hole and attach using zip ties. Oh forgot to mention AS3 replaced both cpu and mbhs tape. This reduced system temp by 3 degrees during max load. The big *** monster fan at the bottom was zip tied to a hard drive bracket and attached using just one mother board screw and nut, it’s adjustable that way. Ton of air flow toward the cpu and ram. It really keeps my GeForce 3 cold. Just below the big *** fan is a piece of laminated paper taped to the fan which creates an area that I would call the box. I drilled bigger suck holes directly in this area to create as much sucking as possible. So with the front case fan sucking and the big *** fan is also sucking, it works great. At first I had two fans creating the suck box so use two if you can’t get a big *** fan, and just attach them together using zip ties. All together this has my ambient temp at 27c and that’s in Deep South Texas. Down here we have 3 months of autumn and 9 months of summer. I know there are probably better ways to do this but with limited tools and money this is all I could come up with, any suggestions would be appreciated. Hope this helped a few low budget overclockers.

Are you fan stacking? looks like it. Thats gonna increase your noise alot without much other advantage. Be better off having the fans exausting seperatly.

Josh

Standard thinking will get you standard results. If you think it will work then I see no reason in not attempting it. It appears that some thought was given to the project and you are happy with it. Therefore it qualifies under "job well done". Hopefully it will get some others thinking and will assist them. Take Care and good job.;)

I usually end up with several old 386/486 units for salvage........one of my favorite things to scrap out of them are the fans and chrome fan guards...I know Im cheap but there is nothing wrong with scrappin' puters....besides its gives my wife somethin to ***** about....hehehe.......

Thanks for the compliments, and yes it is loud. For me the noise is no louder than the fan I have on when I sleep, so to each his own. I tried to get a wind tunnel effect, not a good idea? What's the problem with stacking fans? (damage?) I can actually feel more air pushing out and sucking in, the cpu fan speed reading increased by 400rpm for FREE, well sorta free. It has definitely cooled my cpu and mb temp by 3 or 4 degrees :)

Then it has worked for you and that is all you need. Stacking usually does not end up in great benefits due to the fans rotating in the same direction. The net result is usually not even close to two seperate fans and has only a slight increase in cfm. Now, I would love to play with it a little given a fan that rotated in the opposite direction (i.e. one pushing air say clockwise while the other did this counter clockwise). Given the location the idea is not without merit.

Back