• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My XP rig is going in for operation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walaka7

Welll gang, the time has come.. I will be taking my XP rig offline in next few minutes for dissassembly.. I will be performing anti- condensation measures required for extreme cooling.. The fridge is outside.. the cooler is full (40/60 glycol based coolant) The fridge and pump have been running for a couple of hours chilling the mixture down the hoses and wiring have been run through the wall and of course i have the hoses looped until ready for install..

Wish my XP 1900 luck,, for it is in the hands of a newbie who just doesn't know when to quit ..

I would like to say thanks, in advance to all the knowledge put up here and other forums that have thus far kept me from screwing things up too much.. I would name names but the list is long and quite distinguish

I will update tonight

GOOD LUCK DUDE! iv wanted to do this for a wile, what are you using for a fridge? a mini or a big one? you going for super cold? or just cold?

i wanna know how this goes

just make sure you check for contact between your block and cpu before booting

Sorry gang for taking so long... I am currently running the XP rig right now :clap: so i didnt kill it.. There are some problems though that i will have to work out.. The biggest one is the fact that i did not seal my rubber lines so they were starting to build condensation (I have the magic tar looking stuff to cure that though :).) The second is that the water block may need to be upgraded (am curently using the waterblock that came with koolmaster) or i may have to use a different coolant (water mix)

The water coming into house is 61* F.. The water on top of the proc is 82* and the core is 94* F.. I really not happy about the 94*F...

It scared the S##T outta me when i put it back together though.. When i powered up, i got the beeps of death.. never posted or anything.. turns out i didnt have the ram seated properly LOL i also had to change my undies.. As far as pictures, i will work on that.. i did take some video ( i should have taken a lot more but i was under a real time constraint) but it will take some time to make into pics as i dont have everything set nack up yet... While all this was going on.. i had to move my farm back to my puter desk and move the router back as well (see a/c is coming post @folding forum).. However, all this had burned me out and i still need to get kids ready for bed, and i need a couple of :beer: as well.. But i promise i will do the pics as soon as i can!!!

well done!

the last time i got the beeps of death i though my vid card had gone and went and bought a new one, turns out the cpu (slot 1 back then) was not seated properly - £100($150) down the drain!

not a total loss.. you may not have known it at the time.. but you just gave yourself an excuse to build another rig.. I hate to see things goto waste.. Thats how i built my ECS Duron rig.. had most parts layinng around.. testers, old hdd , ram and so on :)

anything new about this?

i dont use a fridge and i run 30c.... hmmmmm

The fridge capacity is too small and i am in need of a new waterblock.So i will be a week before i have any update :(.. unfortuntly i dont have time right now for a tear down and reassemble .. i am running the rig 24/7 and dont want too much down time

Did you ever read the "how to" about going refrigeration on the front page? If not, here's that link.
Extreme Water-Cooling Using Refrigeration

The water coming into house is 61* F.. The water on top of the proc is 82* and the core is 94* F.. I really not happy about the 94*F...

It sounds like, with these temps, that you don't have enough water in the fridge at one time. As long as you have a large water to surface ratio in the fridge, the water should get colder.

Well im running 5 gallons in the cooler.. the fridge evap is submerged in the coolant.. but it cant keep the temps of the water down without runing 20+ hours/day.. the base of the waterblock is now 71* (I just flushed the block) but the bottom of the proc (BIOS sensor) shows 100* F.. this means that there isn't enough heat transfer between the block and proc.. I am getting a clean footprint on the proc so contact isn't an issue.. In the article you are refering to : he is using a much larger chiller I working on a modded 5000 btu room air unit that should take care of that problem.. as far as the WB is concerned i think i will order a danger den next week >> In the mean time.. i am battling another problem>> I had an alergic reaction to something in someones jeep i was repairing for smog, which lowered my immune system, so i caught the flu, which triggered a migrane.. I had to take 2 darvies and 2 vickies to goto sleep last night.. so please forgive if typing over last couple of days is off.. and i willl be taking it easy this weekend. so there probably wont be any updates for a few days

Last edited:
Back