• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Tight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kttdkt

In my setup I'm building, I'm using a submersable pump and when I turn it on there is no air going through the pumps. Does the system still need to be airtight?

Unless you (for some odd reason :D) want air to flow through your tubes, thus increasing your temperatures....YES!!

XiveX

no I'm asking if my res still needs to be airtight? I dont want to add air. It doesnt have air flowing through the tubes now, is that ok?

haha.. no ones understanding you.... (its ok, I do)...

Havent built my system yet, but from what I've seen if ya can make it air tight, go ahead and do so. It will reduce evaporation, problems if the res tips over, and chances of bacteria even more. But that being said, some people I've seen dont even bother with the lid. Guess with water wetter (for the bacteria issue) they deal with it just fine filling it up every now and then.

Dunno for ure though, maybe someone who has tried both will talk...

If the system is airtight,pressure will build up in it like a cars radiator system. I would think you would need a release valve to release the pressure so your system wouldn't leak. A radiator cap does it for a car. Of course the temps in a Cpu cooling system won't get even close to the temp of a car but I would think the system would still build pressure from the pump and might damage something. Others with more experience on watercooling cpus might be able to help better. I just know about cooling systems in autos and try to apply the same principles as I have learned to computers. If I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Daniel

You shouldn't have a problem with pressure as long as:
1. Water going out out of the pump=water going into the pump
2. You turn the pump on with the computer so that the water doesn't boil. I almost had that happen in my system once, it was bad news!

lol, so I should just forget a res. And yeah I'm going to have a power strip with the pump and computer connected to it.

Back