• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1:1 Ratio, I Don't Understand at All.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

0O00O0O00O

Registered
O.K., so I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.67 GHz that I'm attempting to overclock to 3.33 GHz. I also have a set of Ripjaws 2x4gb 1066 RAM. What am I supposed to set for my CPU and Memory Multiplyers to get a 1:1 ratio? Is it better to just leave the RAM running at 1066 than lower it to get a 1:1 ratio? :shrug:

My MOBO is a Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT, by the way.

If you left your processor at the stock multiplier (10x), your FSB is currently 333 MHz (3330 MHz / 10). A 1:1 ratio for memory would give you a 333 MHz base clock with an effective speed of 667 MHz. Your BIOS will likely show you the effective speed.

1:1 ratio in this case means you want your FSB and ram speed to run the same speed. What this does is take the memory out of the equation by running it slower than its rated spec (in your case, with slower ram, perhaps it brings it to stock or not as overclocked). That said, you have 533Mhz ram (1066 DDR). So you have until 533 FSB before you start to overclock that ram on a 1:1 ratio. Again the object of going 1:1 is to eliminate the memory as part of your overclocking adventures. Once your CPU is locked in and stable, then increase the memory multiplier to come as close to 1066 as you can.

Here is a great guide that should help you out: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

1:1 ratio in this case means you want your FSB and ram speed to run the same speed. What this does is take the memory out of the equation by running it slower than its rated spec (in your case, with slower ram, perhaps it brings it to stock or not as overclocked). That said, you have 533Mhz ram (1066 DDR). So you have until 533 FSB before you start to overclock that ram on a 1:1 ratio. Again the object of going 1:1 is to eliminate the memory as part of your overclocking adventures. Once your CPU is locked in and stable, then increase the memory multiplier to come as close to 1066 as you can.

Here is a great guide that should help you out: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515316

So, since I'm only running a 333 FSB to get a 3.33 clock speed, I need to make my ram slower to achieve the proper ratio? And this should impove the system? I've been using that guide the whole time and was confused, which is why I'm asking. :D

You will want to change the timings (tighter, smaller numbers) or voltages (lower) since your frequency is lower, but running it slower won't hurt anything, no.

Look at the memory tab in CPUz... what speed does it tell you its running at? (post pic here using instructions below)

EDIT: Wait. There is not a "proper" ratio... again it is just there, in this case, to eliminate any overclocking on your ram or to overclock it for that matter. You can either lower/tighten timings and voltages, or you can raise the memory multiplier so its close to your ram speed.

OCFinsertimages.png

Wait, I also need to adjust the timings? I thought it is supposed to stay at what it's rated? For myself, that would be 7-7-7-18. Here are my bios settings so far, not sure what I should be touching (what is the "memory latch"?):

eZ2VtpT.jpg

HmfcH5l.jpg

Here's the CPUz shot:

jqBz3Rx.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant see those pictures from the office as they are 3rd party hosted. As requested above...

OCFinsertimages.png

Can you post the memory tab in CPUz please?

That said, whatever multiplier you have it on, looks, according to the bios, to be set properly at the 1066 Speeds.

While you are at it, please post the SPD tab with one of your sticks showing. This will show you what timings it is supposed to be set at for 1066Mhz... 7-7-7-xx seems really loose. I was expecting 5-5-5-xx...

Can you post the memory tab in CPUz please?

That said, whatever multiplier you have it on, looks, according to the bios, to be set properly at the 1066 Speeds.

While you are at it, please post the SPD tab with one of your sticks showing. This will show you what timings it is supposed to be set at for 1066Mhz... 7-7-7-xx seems really loose. I was expecting 5-5-5-xx...

Images you requested are attached.

The 7-7-7-18 is what it said on the box, should I adjust it?:

Newegg Page for the RAM specs

Attachments

• I9yLIko.png
    I9yLIko.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 90
  • ssS4waG.jpg
    ssS4waG.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 97
Well, I just BSOD after a bit, so something is wrong with my settings (I have an aftermarket cooler and PSU, so I doubt it's overheating or lack of wattage). My BIOS is set up weird, I don't know what I should be adjusting especially since every guide I've read has a more robust BIOS.

Lol, its ddr3. I was thinking ddr 2 on that platform!

You will probably have to raise your vcore a bit. Try adding .05 and see if it stabilizes in stress testing.

Lol, its ddr3. I was thinking ddr 2 on that platform!

You will probably have to raise your vcore a bit. Try adding .05 and see if it stabilizes in stress testing.

My rig is set around making my CPU the best it could be, as I can't afford an i7 and new MOBO yet. It's kind of weird since I have some modern stuff, and yet a five-year-old CPU, haha.

I will report my findings. My CPU is only at 40 degrees Celsius, so I think I can increase the voltage without fear.

40C doing what though? Did you run a stress test, like Prime95 (torture test, small fft) to see what actual LOAD temperatures are? That sounds like an idle bios temp to me and not a windows load test...which, is all mentioned in that guide of things you need to do, note.

Also, after looking at your motherboard, it is really low end for overclocking. There are few power phases and there is not a heatsink on them in the first place. You will want to point a fan directly at the CPU socket area for best results... but not too sure you are going to get very far with that motherboard in the first place.

Well, it appears that I am able to clock the max at 3.43, anything above and my system doesn't boot. I am running my vcore at 1.5, the max that Intel says it's rated for, and the termination at 1.4.

Normal temps around 57 degrees celsius. Stress testing with Prime95 takes me to around 68-70 on average with load at 60%, is this O.K. or am I running too hot?

Heh, thing is those volts seem too high for the clockspeeds... you shouldnt remotely need 1.5 or 1.4vtt for 3.4Ghz...

Again, with your temps... what is 'normal' and is it under a stress test as I asked earlier?

Heh, thing is those volts seem too high for the clockspeeds... you shouldnt remotely need 1.5 or 1.4vtt for 3.4Ghz...

Again, with your temps... what is 'normal' and is it under a stress test as I asked earlier?

I said normal is around 57 and stressing takes it to 68-70 at a 60% load. I can turn down the wattage and try, if you'd like. Is this too hot for now?

Stress testing at 1.4 leads to a BSOD, I'm assuming it needs more power than that and it's running fine at 1.5. I just don't know what "too-hot" is, now.

Last edited:
I meant what does normal mean. We use the term 'idle'. I am not sure what stress testing application you are using that loads to 60% as stress testing applications like the one I listed above and is in that guide, stresses to 100%. THAT sir is what we are are talking about. :)

I don't understand what you mean by turn down the wattage? Did you mean voltage? A bit confused with your really loose use of words...

I meant what does normal mean. We use the term 'idle'. I am not sure what stress testing application you are using that loads to 60% as stress testing applications like the one I listed above and is in that guide, stresses to 100%. THAT sir is what we are are talking about. :)

I don't understand what you mean by turn down the wattage? Did you mean voltage? A bit confused with your really loose use of words...

The guide said to use Prime98, that's what I've been using. And yes, I meant voltage.

Back