• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1:1 Ratio, I Don't Understand at All.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Prime 95... And it loads to 100%...

Yes, and yes, sorry for the confusion, I've only been doing this stuff for a few days. So, am I running too hot?

With my CPU OC'd to 3.43 ghz, running 1.5v into the CPU, during a max load during a stress test I am at around 70 degrees Celsius, 57 during normal.

With my CPU OC'd to 3.33 ghz, running 1.42v into the CPU, during a max load during a stress test I am at around 70 degrees Celsius, 54 during normal.

Basically, what is too hot? That's all I need to know now.

Images you requested are attached.

The 7-7-7-18 is what it said on the box, should I adjust it?:

Newegg Page for the RAM specs

7-7-7-18-86??? Where is this 86 coming from?? That's sooo super loose...

You want to drop the part in bios that says memory multiplier from the 3.20B it's running now down one click. That should run the Ram 1:1

Since your Passing 533 Mhz at the 333 bus it's at now, you need to increase Ram voltage. More than 1.5, probably less than 1.65v on an OC depending on how hard you push.

Also if your not comfy with ov'ing the ram, you "could" just loosen the timings right to 8-8-8-24-32 and run those sticks right up to 800Mhz effective or DDR3-1600 if you will. Again this may require adding some Ram voltage, probably less than 1.65v.

While others have mentioned Cpu temps need to be of concern, it sounds like your not having an issue there besides the mention of Cpu voltage being a little high. Well if your cooling it now, leave it and go for more Cpu Mhz :thup:

GLHF!! :attn:

ADDITIONAL COMMENT:

Before I forget, you can change the command rate from 2T to 1T and see if that nets a few more Mhz from that ram if not a little stability. Naturally this could work the other way around too being 2T is better at X divider and x Ram timings/speed. Depends on that memory controller really.

During idle... Lol.

Keep that cpu under 75c temps are fine. But that is a lot of voltage for those clocks. Im not sure however if it is a bad cpu or that econoboard which is NOT made to overclock, can handle it.

@ Shrimp.. look at his screenshots and you.may want to edit your post....or read the whole thread. :)

During idle... Lol.

Keep that cpu under 75c temps are fine. But that is a lot of voltage for those clocks. Im not sure however if it is a bad cpu or that econoboard which is NOT made to overclock, can handle it.

Well, it's working fine when I do this. I don't know why it BSOD's when I run the cpu at a lower voltage, I guess that's what 4-cores does for ya...

I guess that means I'm good, I'm going to run the CPU @3.33ghz and see how low below a voltage of 1.42 I can go before I BSOD during another stress test. I have never gotten above 75 degrees Celsius, so I guess my aftermarket fan combined with my massive case fan are doing work!

@ Shrimp.. look at his screenshots and you.may want to edit your post....or read the whole thread. :)

Ya I didn't read it all....

But never the less, that ram looks odd on that Cpu-z SS I saw. mainly why I posted. I've never seen a Bank Cycle time THAT loose. 86 bro? really?? LOL, that should be as loose as 32 on a Cas of 8 and tighter on a cas of 7. THIS POST

Just what I saw, figured the memory is still an issue if he's looking for more Bus at the current configuration. And that Bank Cycle needs addressing too.

Anything I missed beyond this, PLEASE fill me in!! :chair:

Ya I didn't read it all....

But never the less, that ram looks odd on that Cpu-z SS I saw. mainly why I posted. I've never seen a Bank Cycle time THAT loose. 86 bro? really?? LOL, that should be as loose as 32 on a Cas of 8 and tighter on a cas of 7.

Just what I saw, figured the memory is still an issue if he's looking for more Bus at the current configuration. And that Bank Cycle needs addressing too.

Anything I missed beyond this, PLEASE fill me in!! :chair:

I honestly have no idea what DRAM timings are for or do, I just left them at the default the package said they are rated for. I can change them if you think it'll fix something. No idea where the 86 is coming from, I did not set that value anywhere. The RAM is only rated to go at 1.5v, is it O.K. to increase the voltage?

I've seen trfc way higher than that brime. Its the tras that is commonly around 28-32.

What I think you missed the fact that with his current fsb (333), and memory multi, his ram is at stock speed. So there isn't a need to raise timings or voltages. Now if he pushes further, which I am not sure what he is doing as the replies are vague at where he is at, then you would want to lower the memory multi.

I honestly have no idea what DRAM timings are for or do, I just left them at the default the package said they are rated for. I can change them if you think it'll fix something. The RAM is only rated to go at 1.5v, is it O.K. to increase the voltage?

Yes and no that ram is not running the SPD. I did however look at their site and they don't show Ram specs beyond Cycle time (tRAS). One of the reasons I don't by from vendors like that. Not enough specs to go by to consider a purchase. I'm sure there's a white paper somewhere if I had the time.

Try for more bus and manually set your timings. I think it's safe up to 1.65v, and tight Cas is always better, BUT if OV is a concern, try a ram set of 8-8-8-24-32. This timing set is pretty universal and basic 1.5v should run it right up to 800mhz.

Always use very small bumps of voltage on your hardware. One simple click at a time and do the same with the reference clock. No more than 2 clicks at a time.

I've seen trfc way higher than that brime.

What I think you missed the fact that with his current fsb (333), and memory multi, his ram is at stock speed. So there isn't a need to raise timings or voltages. Now if he pushes further, which I am not sure what he is doing as the replies are vague at where he is at, then you would want to lower the memory multi.

Well, whenever I set the CPU clock speed to above 3.43ghz with my voltage at 1.5 (the highest I think I'm comfortable going to), my OS doesn't even load. Do you think I can push farther if I mess with RAM stuff? If so, I am open to try, of course. I came here because I am confused about this part.

I read that most people can push the Q6700 to 3.60ghz with the right adjustments.

I've seen trfc way higher than that brime.

I think odds are against him. Cpu temps are pretty high for my taste. I'd look to better cooling personally....

And any decent ram at 533 Mhz shouldn't need tRC that loose. That's like 1100mhz effective, and even then I personally run my tRC at only 36 from 1000mhz and faster.

That's me though. And my Ram is spec'ed 9-10-9-27-36 @ 1.5v @ 933mhz. To me anything looser would be un-civilized.

How do you know its not running spd? I am mobile and may have kissed a screenshot.. but don not recall one. Make sure you are not confusing tras with trfc.

Yes and no that ram is not running the SPD. I did however look at their site and they don't show Ram specs beyond Cycle time (tRAS). One of the reasons I don't by from vendors like that. Not enough specs to go by to consider a purchase. I'm sure there's a white paper somewhere if I had the time.

Try for more bus and manually set your timings. I think it's safe up to 1.65v, and tight Cas is always better, BUT if OV is a concern, try a ram set of 8-8-8-24-32. This timing set is pretty universal and basic 1.5v should run it right up to 800mhz.

Always use very small bumps of voltage on your hardware. One simple click at a time and do the same with the reference clock. No more than 2 clicks at a time.

I don't have an option to mess with five timings, it only lets me do this first four...

Make sure you are not confusing tras with trfc.

I may have!! -

well anyhow, I'd go for gold. More Ram v or loosen em' up on the Cas at least and see what happens.

OP I'm talking try 1.55v and give a small freq bump of 2, leave everything else alone.

I may have!! -

well anyhow, I'd go for gold. More Ram v or loosen em' up on the Cas at least and see what happens.

OP I'm talking try 1.55v and give a small freq bump of 2, leave everything else alone.

I set my timings to 8-8-8-24 and it automatically set the fifth one to 64 (I have no ability to change the last one, I think? What is the fifth timing called and I can see if it'd hidden somewhere).

Also, I can only set the wattage from 1.50v to 1.60v, there's no manual input for inbetween (I typed in 1.55v and it automatically goes to 1.50v...). My frequency is only allowed at 2.4 and 3.2 (only two options if you look at the bios settings I posted), I'm staying at the 2.4 one.

So, I'll try 8-8-8-24-64 @1.60v and see if that runs stable for a bit. Should I try and go beyond 3.33ghz in the CPU now?

I can adjust the CAS Latency (at 8), the tRCD (at 8), the tRP (at 8) and the tRAS (at the 24).

There's also an Advanced Timing Control that gives the values for tRRD, tWTR, tWR, tRFC, and tRTP, all of which are at Auto because I have no idea what they are.

I am running the top values at 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5v with SPD at 2.4 (can only be 2.4 and 3.2, or Auto). I only have vague ideas of what all these values mean so I'm just going off what you folks tell me to do, haha. Also, my Frequency Latch is at 333, is that O.K.?

At least I discovered how far I can push the CPU (I think).

tRC should be 32.

3 ways to play with that ram. Try all 3. If all 3 fail, address your cooling issue. Most cpuz like running cool opposed to hot, and there are a few that run better hotter... luck of the draw.

tRC should be 32.

3 ways to play with that ram. Try all 3. If all 3 fail, address your cooling issue. Most cpuz like running cool opposed to hot, and there are a few that run better hotter... luck of the draw.

What are the three ways?!?

Ok... its all coming back to me now... He is at 343 FSB and its failing. He could do:

1. Lower the memory multiplier to take ram out of the equation (what I would do).
2. Add .05v of voltage to the ram.
3. Loosen the timings.

...like ShrimpB said. :)

If that doesnt work, you can try lowering temps, but, what I would try next is drop the CPU multiplier to 6x with the ram multiplier lowered and push the FSB up so you are underclocked on the CPU and ram to see if that is just the FSB wall for the board, which is quite possible.

Your goal here at this point in my opinion, is to isolate whatever your issue is holding you back.

My bad shrimp, had my head wrapped around something else...

Back