• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 or 2 RAM modules fine, 4 is a problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richardm

I have a Z87-A and the age-old problem of a fully populated board being unstable. Memtest86+ has been failing test #5.

Bumping the RAM from 1.5 to 1.6V fixed the problem, then I upgraded to the 1203 BIOS and was able to go back to 1.5V. It's been fine for a week; today it froze on me. Back into memtest, see failures in test #5, bump the RAM back to 1.6V; it still fails test #5. Dadgummit.

I finally settle on underclocking the RAM to 1:7 (DDR3-1400) at the stock 1.5V and it's stable. Should I settle for this or is it worth going back to 1600 and playing with the timings? SPD is 11-11-11-28 at 1600 (yes this is cheap RAM); perhaps I should try 12-12-12-31, and if so, what about all of the secondary timings? I think the real-world difference between speeds is 1-2% in games and applications, so this whole project is a bit silly. :D

How do you guys typically deal with this problem? All of the slots and modules have been tested in pairs and they are fine. It's only the quad that's having issues.

I ignore it until I have cash to get a better board. I've been working with only 12 of my 16 GB for a while now :) I'm lucky enough that the last module is just ignored, and don't get any errors in memtest or otherwise.

You might need to bump the CPU Analog I/O Offset voltage, which I believe equates to Vtt/IMC voltage. Also make sure the Command Rate is set to 2T, at what I assume are 11-11-11-28 rated timings at DDR3-1600.

Back