• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080i vs. 720p for the Xbox360...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Exfoliate

I'm in the market for a new TV, badly, I don't even have S-video and my tube is going fast (tons of green wavy artifacts, distrotion, and oversaturation). So anyway I'm pretty much set on a CRT as they're still easily the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I'm more into 4:3 but all of this could change depending on what you guys say. Basically I want to know what route I should take. I could easily get a sub $600 1080i capable CRT but how would it look when connected to an X360? Compaired to 720p anyway. I realize that 720p is better at displaying fast motion as the verticle refresh rates are higher but in the end does it really make much of a differene? 1080i would still be more detailed right? I'm not really in the market for an expensive TV, I mean $700 is pretty much the max so my choices are pretty limeted but I'd still like to hear what you guys think. Thanks:)

You're not going to get a HDTV worth 2 ****s for 600 USD. 720p is generally considered better for anything that includes vector geometries. Interlaced isn't such a big deal for motion pictures, but it pretty much sucks for video games.

Thanks for the feedback:)
So these are probably lousy HDTV's then: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001216
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001215
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889102022
I say this at walmart on day and the image quality seemed the best out of all the TV's there, especially the LCD's. It's also less than $600 there for some reason. Shame there's no 720p support but otherwise it looks good. Let me know what looks the best out of the bunch:)

Well, after looking...

The TX-P2775HD seems to really be a EDTV, with a 480p native resolution.

I'd go with either of the other two, depending on what aspect ratio you want. If it were up to me I'd lean towards 16x9 but that's up to you.

The best thing to do is go look at them somewhere.

You will not notice any difference between 720p and 1080i. I have been playing with both for a very long time and cannot for the life of me tell the diff, both are stunning on a large screen TV. People say 720p is better for fast motion, and 1080i a bit more detailed, but truly this is not noticable at all, both are adequate, but I chose 1080i as the native on my TV, if only because the HDTV box I have is 1080i.

You should definitely get a 16:9, all HDTV programming is at that resolution, and games will be made for 16:9 in the near future, with some already supporting 16:9 natively.

Really? That's awesome as walmart has a good looking 1080i ready TV with a 16x9 aspect ratio. I prefer 4:3 but if games are leaning in that direction then it's probably for the best. I probably couldn't tell the difference either as I'm used to a horrid TV and LCD with crappy refresh rates look good to me so most anything I get will probably impress. Keep the opinions coming:)

I would get the 16:9. Most cable channels are upgrading next year to HD, might as well be prepared. I also can't tell between 720p and 1080i. Granted I am comparing while switching modes. If you had 2 tv's side by side with each signal, then maybe, but you would have to be a real AV enthusiast.

Trypt, your avatar gave me a flash back of organic chem. :bang head .

My organic chem flashbacks are more accurately depicted by Exfoliate's avatar.

I have a 62" DLP 1080i (actually 720p native if I am not mistaken, either way tho) and even at that huge size the quality of HDTV programming is unbeliavable. So saying that, I don't see what the point of a 1080p is unless you're talking about absolutely huge screens. I can guarantee you will not see a diff between 1080i and 1080p on a smaller screen then 60", at least on DLP (have less experience with plasma and lcd so can't comment on that, but who wants a crappy 60s tech plasma anyway).

Thanks Trypt:), yeah I guess 1080p is only good if you have a huge TV and a PS3, I'm not made of money unfortunatly, otherwise I'd buy all you guys one.
Anyone have any experience with a Sanyo 32" HDTV, (Sanyo HT32744 32" TV), would be the most convienient for me to get at least.

Back