• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080p vs 2k vs 4k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thobel

I mostly FPS game currently using 13900k/4090 with 1080p 23" 240hrz but thinking about 2k/4k but concerned about monitor sizes being too large for optimal FPS game play. Any thoughts, advice or recommendations welcome.

I use a 24" 1440p display and does me well. I don't think I'd want 4k at that size though but I don't play fps, so my considerations may differ there.

I game mostly FPS on a 28" 2560x1440 monitor at arm's length. If I were to go 4k/120 it would be 32". Otherwise windows is too small ulto use the space, IMO.

I dont know about an optimal size for fps tho....that has to vary by user and situation.

Technically, 2K is 2048x1080. 2560x1440 is MARKETED (incorrectly) as 2K...lol.

I game mostly FPS on a 28" 2560x1440 monitor at arm's length. If I were to go 4k/120 it would be 32". Otherwise windows is too small ulto use the space, IMO.

I dont know about an optimal size for fps tho....that has to vary by user and situation.
Pro players seem to swear by 24" monitors so they have less eye and head movement for peripheral view. 32" I would need to move screen further back :(

Righty, so... figure out what's optimal for you and how you want to sit. 24" is too small for me at arms length. I'm also not trying to be a pro where little things like slight head movements add up. Are you? I wouldn't sweat it unless you're trying be pro at something. :)

Love my 2560x1440 27" at arms length. :)

Last edited:
I don't have a monitor but am using a newer 50" LG UHD screen and I sit about 8 feet back. Its native resolution is 3840x2160. I can game just fine, but if I lower to 2560x1440 I can juice everything up. I might buy a 4090/80 but can't get one right now :D

I do miss my desk. I gave it up during the pandemic for home school and just never got it back lol. Darn kids...

I sit about 4 feet away from a 42"LG UHD tv I use as a monitor. For now 60hz @ 1440 is plenty for my gaming needs. Will upgrade to a 120hz at some point.

I can't view those links as Amazon's site tries to be smart and shows me something totally different on my local site.

That aside, a higher resolution display will be higher resolution so you get more details. I find 1080p a bit blurry after using a 4k TV to game. Just hope you have a nice GPU to go with it.

I can't view those links as Amazon's site tries to be smart and shows me something totally different on my local site.

That aside, a higher resolution display will be higher resolution so you get more details. I find 1080p a bit blurry after using a 4k TV to game. Just hope you have a nice GPU to go with it.
I checked the links, and I had no trouble.:eek:

Rule of thumb for pixel count would be something along the lines of - up to 27" 1080p, up to 32" 1440p, above 4k+. You don't want to be able to count the individual pixels on the monitor, it's very distracting. Every eye doctor and their mothers I've spoken to or asked/read opinions agree that for fluid motion and avoiding eye strain you want AT LEAST 120hz, anything higher is only a bonus up to the point that you can actually perceive the difference, aka, not really any point going over 120hz/144hz (more common) if you're not a professional e-sports competitor.

Known quite a few deluded console peasants over the years that swear that they couldn't see any difference above 60hz, and had to show them what it looks like on a master race PC. They now all agreed there was a significant improvement. Great success (y)

Pro players seem to swear by 24" monitors so they have less eye and head movement for peripheral view. 32" I would need to move screen further back :(

I was checking various monitors a while ago (literally, I went to the store and checked multiple monitors between 24" and 42"). For me, 32" is just right to have everything in my eyesight without moving my head. Higher display resolution gives a wider sight area on the sides in many games. In FPS, you may like to focus on the center of the screen all the time, but higher resolution may have its advantages, too.
I know that "pro" players pick 24-27" 1080p, but it's mainly because high FPS and smaller displays have higher refresh rates in general. Depending on the graphics card and game, you can be limited to the maximum monitor refresh rate that is equal to the maximum FPS. Many games work in the way that higher FPS = faster character reaction/animation. I play mainly MMORPGs, and most titles act this way, so people aim for 144hz/FPS+ and the best if 300+. Now it's easier, but 3-4 years ago, you couldn't find a 32" 165hz+ monitor at reasonable money that had all the gaming features.
Either way, I wouldn't change 32" to anything smaller ... ~28" would be an absolute minimum.
With an i9 CPU and RTX4090, I wouldn't even consider 1080p, as 1440p has almost as many FPS in many games.

I have an HP 27" 1440p monitor at my old work desk, which is 24" to 27" from my eyes depending on whether I'm sitting back in the chair or leaning in and looks it perfect for that usage. My gaming computer is a 32" 1440p monitor on a larger desk that is roughly 32" from my eyes, but I might lean in occasionally to as close as 24" away. But I am as far away as you can get from a competitive gamer, very casual gamer for maybe one hour per day on a budget 75 Hz monitor.

My gaming computer is a 32" 1440p monitor on a larger desk that is roughly 32" from my eyes,
How do you feel about the PPI for that 32"?

After upgrading from 24" 1080p (same PPI as 32" 2560x1440) to 27" 2560x1440, I can't lower my PPI...I can see the pixels from arm's length (a bit over 26"), lol.

How do you feel about the PPI for that 32"?

After upgrading from 24" 1080p (same PPI as 32" 2560x1440) to 27" 2560x1440, I can't lower my PPI...I can see the pixels from arm's length (a bit over 26"), lol.

I guess it depends on the type of display/matrix. I remember seeing pixels on the 32" 1440p LG, but I can't see them on the 32" 1440p MSI that I have now. In games, it doesn't matter much as everything changes fast.
27" 1080p looks pretty bad. 27-30" feels just right at 1440p. 30-34" highly depends on the monitor quality, but the new VA or IPS series are generally pretty good. I remember AOC had pretty good-looking and cheap 32" 1440p 75hz monitors. DELL has some nice series, too, but it is somehow expensive compared to other brands. I mean office monitors that are good for gaming.

Last edited:
That's a great point about the panel type. Between my sons, they have four 24" 1080p TNs, though... Acers and Asus. It's obvious, to me, when sitting there compared to 27/28" 2560x1440 PPI.

It is masked in games as well, but anything static or desktop just looks pixelated at that PPI. Working 8 hours a day on a desktop, I'm spoiled with higher PPI/better image and won't go back. :)

EDIT: I've never seen a 32" 2560x1440 personally, but since the PPI is the same as 1080p 24", I expect it to look similar (depending on the panel, of course).

For me, the ASUS 28" 4k set to 150% desktop size looks about the same on static images or text as the MSI 32" 1440p that I have at home.

Here is also one problem: larger displays typically have worse backlight (brighter corners or something). It's not a rule and sometimes depends on luck. You never know what you get until you unpack and connect it. This is why I hate buying monitors. I never know if I get what I expect, even though the specs look good.

I picked 32" some years ago because I dislike 2 monitor setups, 24-27" feels too small, and 34"+ is too large (I have to move my head, which is no problem for 1h of work, but not when I do something for a couple of hours).
I also dislike ultra-wide monitors because the height of ~42" is typically the same as 32" 16:9 ... not to mention the issue of moving my head to see everything on the sides.

I have a curved monitor for gaming right now. Tbh, I wouldn't buy it again. It was on a 50% sale, so I can live with that, but the curved display feels like nothing special, and because of the manufacturing process, the backlight is never even. In games, it's fine. On a static desktop or while typing longer text, some spots are clearly brighter. I saw the same on most if not all, curved monitors. I haven't seen even one curved monitor that I could recommend.

Back