• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T @ 4.1GHZ TO 3570K @ 4.8GHZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamesbritt268

I hate to say it. It's been said before. But after the swtich from a 1090t + 990fxa ud3 with 6970 and dual ssd raid to 3570k with same hardware just new asus p8z77 pro I can definately tell my cpu was bottlenecking my setup. At least in the games i play.

SWTOR 1090t 60 fps max fleet avg 22.5 fps and wzs 30.fps
3570k 120fps max fleet avg 45 fps and wzs avg 60fps

gpu usage from 30 to 70 perc to 100perc.

more game tests to come. But for those looking to make a switch i sold my old 1090t and 990fxa on ebay and it only cost me 200 bucks total to upgrade.

I really hope amd gets their act together. I know gaming is only a small segment of users, but i couldnt believe what an improvement with same hardware. Not to mention i had maxx settings with 3570k and with the 1090t i had shadows off and settings set to aa low and character detail low.

I feel dirty now. But i never believed it until i saw it for myself. If your thinking about it i will say definately pull the trigger.

gpu usage from 30 to 70 perc to 100perc.

Running 1280x800 res are we? (joke)

I am surprised by that in all seriousness. On AMD my GPU hits 50% but my CPU bounces only hits 20-50% for the games I play. Then again I do not play online games so not sure. I do dragon Age with mods, COD MW series, and my favorite, KOTOR and KOTOR2 with mods. I dont think any of them taxed my GPU let alone my CPU. (kotor is an old *** game and even with the HR mods aint taxing..)

I am glad it worked well for you. Was it a noticeable improvement or just a benchable change? (thought the human eye cant see past 25FPS hence why HD movies are at 24FPS?)

Was it an actual affect or were you using the MVP thing?

Last edited:
Nope 1920x1080. :p

I am using the mvp feature right now not sure if it makes a huge difference but before my 1090t never hit more then 30 to 40 perc usage either. But i could feel the stuttering as the 1090t tried to keep up with the game.

Definately noticeable i didnt do a benchmark i played a warzone stood in fleet same as i did on my 1090t. i did a few warzones actually cause i wanted to make sure it wasnt just one zone.

Its def my eyes I dont do benches ever i just oc stability test and play games. :p

the overall feel is pretty solid but the original clocks with all the downclocking at first made me almost return it until i tweaked it up some. once your over 4.4 its a beast.

I do not run dual GPUs ever. But expect that might have more of an impact with Intel CPU. (EDIT: I read your first post as 670 dual lol not 6970--dual ssd LOL) No more about SLI :p

Was joking about the res also.

MVP I have not looked into since I do not have a z77 to test it. You dont get free anything in computers. Like CSAA giving "free" AA it wasnt, its just that most LCD monitor users would not notice the lack of colors, I am sure MVP is doing something.

I have no proof. Im just saying that a 100% increase in framerates, especially since MVP is shown to give a large percentage increase, is not real.

Did you have vysnc enabled on your AMD and not on your MVP enabled device since it disables vysync and thus passes limits of framerates to 60FPS. I did read something about MVP disabling vsync but still managing to prevent tearing somehow... I will look more into that.

Last edited:
What are you using to monitor your cpu/gpu usage while in game?

I use gpu z. Also even before I used games without v sync enabled on my setup with amd I still got nowhere near the same frame rates.
I'm definitely glad I made the switch. But as people have said the amd chips definitely feel faster in multi
tasking desktop environments.....

It also saved me upgrading my graphics card from my 6950 unlocked. Glad I didn't listen to the cpu doesn't matter crowd :)

another thing is the offset overclock ing enabling you to keep your cpu in green mode and still have high overclocks. Really hope amd catches up.

Without question the 3570K is definitely much better in single threaded apps and games.

glad your happy with it :)

This thread makes me feel like the scene where the rapture has arrived and I see people's underwear and clothes falling from the sky, donning robes and floating into heaven while I'm stuck with my phenom II rig.

Without question the 3570K is definitely much better in single threaded apps and games.

glad your happy with it :)

That is a pretty significant difference though. I know SB and IB are better, but it wouldn't be THAT dramatic, would it?

As I understand it virtu mvp does some kind of frame dropping that makes your fps look better than it really is. They ended up invalidating it for 3dmark because it offered an apparent performance boost with no real actual boost. I could be way off here, just one of the things ive read.

That is a pretty significant difference though. I know SB and IB are better, but it wouldn't be THAT dramatic, would it?

I think its about 20% per core, with Thuban its negated using all core vs using all cores but that's clock for clock.

He's running 700Mhz higher clocks, that's another 20%, but he's talking 60 to 120 / 22.5 to 45 / 30 to 60, that's a very convenient 100% performance increase.

That's very high for sure, and a little rounded.

My 3DM 11 Physics score is over 6000, i don't know what a 3570K is but i don't think its that much better, nor have i ever had any slowdowns in games, and i'm using a far more powerful GPU.

But who knows, its not possible to draw comparisons or conclusions :)

Last edited:
I am sure MVP is doing something.

MVP offloads processing to determine which parts of the screen need refreshed, and which pixels don't change... Then it only re-renders the parts that changed. There is likely some overhead there, but everything I've heard about it for gaming has been positive.

As I understand it virtu mvp does some kind of frame dropping that makes your fps look better than it really is. They ended up invalidating it for 3dmark because it offered an apparent performance boost with no real actual boost. I could be way off here, just one of the things ive read.

They didn't invalidate it, Futuremark updated the apps/drivers to detect when virtu-mvp was enabled, so that in their rankings you can compare MVP scores to non-MVP scores. For benchmarking, its not comparable between MVP and non-MVP.

It doesn't actually make your FPS look better than it is - it makes your FPS better because every single frame is not fully rendered every time, only the parts that actually changed.

No problem, you had it mostly right anyways... No one actually cares about the specific details! heh I just picked them up from doing the hwbot benching thing a lot and MVP was a hot topic for a while.

Sorry my previous comment came off a bit coarse, didn't mean it that way.

MVP offloads processing to determine which parts of the screen need refreshed, and which pixels don't change... Then it only re-renders the parts that changed. There is likely some overhead there, but everything I've heard about it for gaming has been positive.

They didn't invalidate it, Futuremark updated the apps/drivers to detect when virtu-mvp was enabled, so that in their rankings you can compare MVP scores to non-MVP scores. For benchmarking, its not comparable between MVP and non-MVP.

It doesn't actually make your FPS look better than it is - it makes your FPS better because every single frame is not fully rendered every time, only the parts that actually changed.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Bam. Im not questioning you,. (jk and so is the rest of the post)

No I get it Matt and dude. MVP is a great processor, especially since its major benefit is the ability to tell programs its displaying 120 FPS while maintaining 60 FPS for your screen.

Wheee ooo

PCmark whee ooo. Intel CPU+ intel gpu =+xxxx points.

I am not saying it is wrong..
whee ooooo..

I dont even know it is true
wheeee ooo

I am saying that if super pi (whee ooo) and Futuremark (whee ooo) were biased we would know about it.

Let alone games that were (whee ooo) marketed specifically for certain combinations of (Whee ooo) hardware.

I use hardware that isnt (wheee ooo) effective it sucks technically but it costs less and performs better.

Benchmarkers know which way to go (Whee Ooo).

as an addendum if Wheee ooo is your intended platform than Wheee ooo should be what you are looking for, it does not matter if a benchmark is not apparently whee ooo biased because it only existed on 10-0 year old programs. Hwbot is the largest offender of Whee ooo out of them all. (shows how good a64 was does doent it)

Run what you want to and forget about whee ooo. Forget about it who wants better AMD.

whee ooo.

SB and a 540. (no thuban and a 6770)

Last edited:
Lol Neuro... Have you changed medication lately? Taken up new hobbies? Specifically ones which may involve drugs or alcohol?

I guess my point by posting this was to say that having a phenom II i had a few 955 and a 1090t to a intel 3570k with the same hardware otherwise does grant a notice able improvement. Not to mention my room is no longer a sauna.

I tend to be skeptical about reviews and benchmarks these days considering most are biased, and or suited to stroke which ever company's ego sent out the free hardware. (most want to keep the free hardware coming....)

But in my own personal experience with or without virtu mvp, the same gfx card, the same games, I got a noticeable improvement.

However this was not true in all games. The only game where i saw little / no difference was BF3.

It made the difference between cpu dependent games that aren't heavily multi-threaded playable, versus being previously non playable. In my own personal experience.

And I also think people underestimate the true value of the cpu in gaming based situations at 1080p.

Lol Neuro... Have you changed medication lately? Taken up new hobbies? Specifically ones which may involve drugs or alcohol?

I better check and make sure its really naproxen my ex gave me for my back (Its way heavier than aleve strength) :S I thought it hilarious when I was writing that, and I do not get it now...

Naproxen and beer dont effect each other right?

Back