• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T vs. 965Bk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
March is quite a long way from now, there will be new video cards and cpus by then possibly lowering the prices of current cpus and gpus. It is usually better to only piece together when you plan on buying very soon.

Temporarily out of stock, ordered it anyways, thats how this build will be, opportunistic and slow, but im hoping to have it together and running my march.... ish? Do you guys care If I PM you instead of public posts? Seems like for the Q's I have maybe not clogging the public forums would be nice?

That's the way to do it! Take your time, I STRONGLY suggest looking into setting up RSS'd search feeds for the things you are after. I took my time with mine and the entire system in my specs came in under $1300 WC included. Newegg is awesome! :)

March is quite a long way from now, there will be new video cards and cpus by then possibly lowering the prices of current cpus and gpus. It is usually better to only piece together when you plan on buying very soon.

My thought is that things. Like ps and case aren't likely to become out dated, cpu cooler too, the mobo cpu and ram will be bought together for sure! Ill keep posting questions publicly, I have used the search feature with pretty good results!

My thought is that things. Like ps and case aren't likely to become out dated, cpu cooler too, the mobo cpu and ram will be bought together for sure! Ill keep posting questions publicly, I have used the search feature with pretty good results!

Not sure what kind of cases you like but I try to recommend this to everyone looking to save a buck: http://cmstore.coolermaster-usa.com...Csid=f2e7f204b27417d13711b79c1c81b339&x=0&y=0

Coolermaster has a refurb section on their site. They are factory refurbs and and having received one I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever. The prices are a touch high right now, but I've seen them offload HAF 932's for 69.99. Since your not in a hurry watch that site if you like CM cases, maybe you can get a rocking deal.

You are right, psu and case will not be outdated. Yea hold back on the cpu, ram, and mobo.

:clap:

So I am rethinking things, given i cannot build a new comp every year, would it be more sound logic to get a beastly current top of the line mobo, a decent CPU, and then as prices fall i can get the 1090t down the road when it is 150buck in a year or two, and that will be a nice update to keep me current? Is that a logical thought process? I can get a 9x5 black edition for sub 200 easily ,and from what i read they OC like mad, put it on a mobo with lots of options, and then IF i outgrow that proc in a year or two the 1090T will be 100-150 and i can slid that on it and OC it at that point if need be?

So I am rethinking things, given i cannot build a new comp every year, would it be more sound logic to get a beastly current top of the line mobo, a decent CPU, and then as prices fall i can get the 1090t down the road when it is 150buck in a year or two, and that will be a nice update to keep me current? Is that a logical thought process? I can get a 9x5 black edition for sub 200 easily ,and from what i read they OC like mad, put it on a mobo with lots of options, and then IF i outgrow that proc in a year or two the 1090T will be 100-150 and i can slid that on it and OC it at that point if need be?

This is pretty much what I did. I spent more on the motherboard and cheaped out a bit on the proc for now. I am new to overclocking so killing a 965 wont hurt the bank much, but I hope it all goes well :rofl:.

I would and did buy the 1090T hands down. If you go spend 75-100$ on a cheaper processor you will be spending around the same as if you had just bought the 1090T in the first place.

I would and did buy the 1090T hands down. If you go spend 75-100$ on a cheaper processor you will be spending around the same as if you had just bought the 1090T in the first place.

And then you can't sell the first one for nearly anything, making it almost more expensive.

Alright, something to consider I suppose, anything labled cross fire is effectively able to run two video cards in tandem yes?
I cannot seem to find any on this page though, you guys are soo terribly helpful

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ption=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Click on the product, then look for the details tab below. New Egg used to be easier to shop...but they changed things up recently. Don't ask...we all hate it.

By the way, that cheap Biostar TA890FXE is an absolute beast for the money. I had two of them, still have one as my daily driver.

EDIT: FYI, every 890fx chipset will do two card crossfire.

Click on the product, then look for the details tab below. New Egg used to be easier to shop...but they changed things up recently. Don't ask...we all hate it.

By the way, that cheap Biostar TA890FXE is an absolute beast for the money. I had two of them, still have one as my daily driver.

EDIT: FYI, every 890fx chipset will do two card crossfire.
I assume the fx chipset would do SLI as well?

For a guy who has build 1 comp and is new to things you think the biostar would be a good starting mobo? Not gonna get outdated or limit me too much, knowing that I am not OC crazy? Cause it would help a ton to have a solid Mobo thats easy on the budget for sure...

Also, cases, there are SOOOOO many in the same price range... i would like tt stay around 100ish bucks +/- 20 bucks, reccomendation? More fans = better or is placement a consideration, would i need to rethink my PS Dependant on the number and location of fans?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo
Maybe that one

Last edited:
The only important recommendation I have for a case is to make sure it's at least 8" wide. Anything narrower than 8" and you can't fit a 120mm tower cooler into it.

Personally, I like Cooler Master for cases since they tend to use mesh instead of solid panels in places like the 5.25" bays, which allows for better circulation. Double 120mm fans at the front tend to have great airflow as well but I'm not sure what cases have those. I also like some of the build features Tt has. Cases are a very personal choice ...

ahhhhh phenom II X4 940, $99, thats only 250 for mobo and proc.... resisting temptation.....

^ yes but that is only an AM2+ CPU. So no can do with DDR3 =(

Ohhh. Well, my opinion...when buying new, don't buy old tech. If you find a deal in the classifieds or flea bay, then great, but I try not to buy "new" old tech.

ahhhhh phenom II X4 940, $99, thats only 250 for mobo and proc.... resisting temptation.....
As pointed out, that would take an AM2+ motherboard and there aren't many of those around nowadays. You might find one on eBay but I checked Newegg, ZZZ, and Tiger - they don't have any worth buying.

Ohhh. Well, my opinion...when buying new, don't buy old tech. If you find a deal in the classifieds or flea bay, then great, but I try not to buy "new" old tech.
I don't have a problem with that especially on a budget. If you can find good quality "old" tech it can often be had for an excellent price - and bottom line is, you're talking maybe 200 MHz at a $200 price tag. That "old tech" OC's almost as good as the new stuff and who needs SATA III or USB 3 on a budget build ...?

Back