• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

120mm Blowing over Heat Sink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ferrett

Registered
I have a 120 Sunon fan sommwere when i can find it.What im thinking of doing is installing the 120 in the side of the case blowing over a fanless heat sink.Im i mad?.The fan on the Volcano 7 is ****ing me off and is too noisey so would this work, i seem to remember the 120 been quite compared to the 70mm fitted on the volcano.What do you think about the temps side of thingsim currently running 174*10.5 stable @50c loaded so i dont really want to go above that.
Im off to find mi 120 what do you think:D
Ferret

that is a VERY good idea to have one. and not hard to odo. it will give you a positive case presure cool the cpu and the area around it and do it without making as much noise as a ful lblown 80mm fan would make to produce the same results.

Can also form a duct to force the air directly to the HS. Most fans air flow spreads out after exiting the fan. Should be beneficial to duct the air right to the HS.

Ok so as long as i have the sunon directly over the heat sink there would be no problem having no fan on it.Going to give it a go tonight but ill **** myself hitting the start button.
Ferret

Ferrett said:
Ok so as long as i have the sunon directly over the heat sink there would be no problem having no fan on it.Going to give it a go tonight but ill **** myself hitting the start button.
Ferret

I wouldn't start your computer without a fan directly on the HS.

BoonieRat said:
Duct it!, the flow needs to be concentrated onto the HS!!...

I agree, without a duct, the air would spread out too much, and your cpu would run pretty hot.

You need to have the fan as close to the HS as possible if you are planning to duct it. Otherwise, back pressure will build up in the duct and you will not get the performance you had hoped for. Currently, I am using a 120 mm fan with an adapter on a 80 mm heatsink. It is ducted to the outside.

If the hs is 70mm square, you shouldn't have too much backpressure when you funnel the air over the hs. But the fan itself is the most important thing here. If it's designed to handle backpressure, you can give it a lot w/out too big an airflow hit. If it isn't designed to handle the backpressure, just a little will kill your airflow, and the 70mm fan would do better. Just keep your finger on the power switch when you boot it up... ;)

Thanks lads all done now and im happy, to resolve the back presure i allowed a 2mm gap all the way round the ducting at the heatsink end so the ducting not tight against the heatsint.Temps have dropped well @12 Volts i run between 42-43c under load.With all these fans though my ears are starting to bleed lol saying that all the 80s run on 7 volt and ive now turned three of them off so its quiter overall now.
Ferret
Ferret

What was the temp drop pse??? Like you I am running a Volcano7+ and the noise is really annoying. I am waiting for the SLK478 from Thermalright (due later this month) but this might be fun.

I was at 50c fully loaded and i made the duct from a 4 pint milk carton the plastic type.
Ferret

Back