• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best thermal pad for heat sink in MSI GT60 whitebook

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadowlid

So the problem im having is my gaming laptop though used seldom for dedicated gaming will get very hot due to this being a MSI Gt60 whitebook debadged and limited bells and whistles. It only has one heat sink shared between the CPU I7-4700MQ and GPU GTX 880m. The GPU gets 90c even with the fan maxed out, though i have bought a external vacuum fan with better results keeping it in the 80s. But the CPU stays in the 70s with stock fan and 65-68c with vacuum fan no problem. The GPU heat sink is connected to the CPU heat sink with a thermal pad and i feel this is where im loosing some of the cooling capacity.

So my question is what is the best brand of thermal pad i can get, or is there another solution that i could use to help transfer heat to the heat sink?

BTW the only reason i bought the whitebook version i got it on clearance from a PC store online for $900 off retail price.

Thanks all for the info,

Shadow

Something like Fujipoly Ultra extreme are the best thermal pads you are going to find as far as heat transfer. Make sure you get the correct thickness though.

Did you do the typical cleaning of the fins and fans though?

Also some people report improved heat transfer is a small dab of good thermal paste is applied to either side of the thermal pads before application.

Thanks for the reply! Ill try the thermal paste on each side of the pads that are on it and ive cleaned the fins and fan out. If the thermal paste doesnt work ill try that brand of thermal pads!

Also some people report improved heat transfer is a small dab of good thermal paste is applied to either side of the thermal pads before application.

This worked wonders i put a small dab of Artic silver 5 on each thermal pad and the GPU maxes out around 80c now. With the fan @ 100% around 76c so I am happy with those results!

Thank you for the info,

Shadow

Back