• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12GB RAM installed, OS Shows 4GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nothing booting as a single stick in the "2" slots is normal.
What isn't normal is Dom 1 and Dom 2 in A1 and B1.

I can see how you would interpret that as random, but it really isn't.
I think you'd benefit from buying a proper set of RAM for your computer.

I'm still sketched out by the motherboard slightly, but using mixed sticks isn't a great idea. Especially on a triple-channel computer.

Also, what are your current RAM speed/latency/voltage settings?

Well, for now I can only work with what I have. I could take out the PNY to have 8GB (4x2GB) of the same type. I guess eventually I will save up to buy higher-grade RAM.

I can check in the BIOS in the morning. It's running at the defaults currently. I reset my BIOS (so my overclock and such for CPU and RAM is gone. I am sure thats what screwed up the RAM in the first place [trying to overclock a PNY card while the rest are Dominators with different speed/latencys.])

Yes, because if you look at the PNY's specs, it's a 1333MHz stick.

How much does it show in Task Manager?
Hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc, go to "Performance", and see what it says under Total Physical Memory (MB)

87b024d62e428145204b16ada5101322.png
I said thats what Windows showed :)

Just making sure that Task Manager agreed with the System Properties :)

I must say, you've got one that's being nice and finicky :p
Definitely have your buddy test the RAM.

Have you checked the motherboard manual to see what slots it recommends for having 4 sticks installed?

I get the feeling that it's trying to pair that PNY stick with your Dominator stick in A2 and causing issues.
Want to try getting two more sticks of the Dominators and see if it will run 6x2GB properly?

I get the feeling that it's trying to pair that PNY stick with your Dominator stick in A2 and causing issues.
Want to try getting two more sticks of the Dominators and see if it will run 6x2GB properly?

I took the PNY stick out when suggested. It doesn't seem that the extra 4GB would help much...
I would get 2 more if I could, but I can't. Sorry.

Back