• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1600mhz 2t or 1333mhz 1t?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kermdawg

Registered
Question is in the thread title. All other timings are the same.

First dimms are G.Skill 1333 2x8gb 1333mhz 9-9-9-24 1t dimms

Second are Team Vulcan 1600mhz 2x4gb 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 2t dimms

Kinda leaning toward the G.Skills personally, cause I like having a **** ton more memory than I'm ever going to use.

Won't make a noticeable difference. Odds are the 1600 will run 1t as well. Quite possible the 1333 will run 1600 too.

1600 2t is just 800mhz 1t
it says 1600 because of it being 2t. (2 commands at a time vs. 1 at a time)

as far as i know? i could have swore that's what someone told me....

*edit*
apparently after asking someone that's not true...

i guess ignore this >_>

Last edited:
Surprisingly the 1333 crashes after about 5 minutes at 1600. It will run at 1400 but I can't get 9-9-9-24 timings on my board for some reason, the minimum is like 10-10-9-27 or something like that.

I personally would have spent the extra 1$ for the 7-7-7-21 1333mhz G.Skill (the blue sticks) unless you live in canada like me then Egg sells the blue sticks for 2$ less (after shipping) but seeing as you got what you got theres no changing that.

Its strange that you can't get the correct timings out of your ram, I have had great results with my G.Skill 1866mhz ram running at both stock settings or 1600mhz with tightened timings.

What 2 DIMMs are your ram sticks occupying? Reading your specific Mobo manual explains that with 2 sticks of ram you should occupy DIMM2 and DIMM4 for Dual-Channel mode, heres a picture for reference of which DIMMs are which in case it doesn't specify on the mobo itself.
DIMM MSI Z77A-G43.png
If you run your sticks in the wrong channels there could be instability issues and limited flexibility similar to those found when running 4 sticks in dual channel mobo's. Such issues are why I have my 4 sticks of ram running at 1600mhz with lower timings instead of their rated 1866mhz.
Other then that, are you running stock voltages? (1.5v)

Last edited:
When I started to overclock my memory I realized I had them in 1 and 2 instead of 1 and 3.
Everything I've read on my board says that theirs basically 2x2 dual channel slots, and that 1 and 3 are connected and 2 and 4 are connected. This makes sense givin 1 and 3 are blue and 2 and 4 are black.

I only bought the 1333 cause it was on sale and I would run out of memory every once in a while when I was multitasking/gaming. I didnt even think to look at the timings when I bought it I just looked at the speed. Now I know better lol.

Turns out my MSI motherboard isn't the greatest for fine-tuning an overclock. Sure it'll overclock your processor and memory, but I guess my memory isnt compatible with this board or something. No XMP, and its a pain in the *** to manually change the timings. The motherboard and CPUID show two differant speeds and I'm not sure which one is right.

I think I'm just gonna run stock on my memory and save up for some better stuff. The more I mess with this particular set of G.Skill DIMMs the less I like it.

It may be worth giving slots 2 and 4 a try, although it may seem that it should be no different then using slots 1 and 3, some motherboards are picky when it comes to optimal settings. As an example, in my motherboard manual (asus crosshair iv formula) they strongly recommend using the 2 red slots as opposed to the 2 black slots when overclocking for optimal stability and performance. Your motherboard manual does recommend to use slots 2 and 4, even if it doesn't recommend it as strongly as some manuals. Heres a ss of your mobo manuals recommendations.
DIMM population rules.png

It is vague, but population rules are rules and we don't want the ram sucking because the motherboard is picky. It may not even make a difference, but i think its worth a try if it has a chance of getting these sticks to function properly. I may not fully know your frustration of manually setting ram because as an AMD user this is the only way for me to setup my ram :p haha.

Looking up your specific ram on the G.Skill website shows that they claim it to be fully compatible and XMP ready with intel 3rd gen cpu's (which you have) and the z77 chipset (which you also have). Within the tested motherboard list they list "MSI Z77MA-G45" which appears to be the exact same board as your own, with different pci-e options to appeal to other customers. To further confirm the compatibility, imputing your motherboard into the G.Skill configurator brings up a list of supported ram and within the list I have found your ram.

Due to G.Skill claiming the ram to be XMP ready with your CPU and chipset and even claims compatibility with the Mobo in general i would either get help from someone who knows intel better then I do (this is where someone else in the forum steps in to save the day), or look for assistance from G.Skill customer support.
It could be possible that you were sent defective ram, even if the ram works at really terrible timings please note that under your ram on G.Skill webpage they state "*G.Skill guarantees 2 Dimms dual channel operation would reach announced specification." and as a compatible pc setup, you are fully entitled to this guarantee. :D
I hope I have been of some assistance, good luck with your ram! I can still help if you need, but my knowledge of intel setups is limited.

Alright heres an update

Swapped the 2 sticks into slots 2 and 4. It DOES say that in my motherboard manual if you only have two sticks.

Unfortunately, had the same result.

However! There were a couple of bios updates for my motherboard, so I flashed to the latest version. Both of them said "improved memory capability/functionality/performance" in the update notes. Lol.

So heres where I'm at now- I manually set the speed in the bios to ddr3-1600mhz. Left all the timings and voltage on Auto.

Cpu-Z shows my memory at 800mhz(x2 obviously so 1600mhz. Yay!) BUT-when I run my bios it still shows the memory at 1333. And still no XMP.

Ill post a screenshot as soon as I figure out how too lol... anyway, which one is right, the bios or cpuz?

This somewhat confuses me, you set it to 1600 in bios but the bios still claims its running 1333 while its set to 1600?
If you manually set it to 1600Mhz in the bios and CPU-Z now says its 1600Mhz then i would say you got it running 1600Mhz :p I'm not sure where it says 1333 in your bios, because in my bios, i read my ram speed where i set it..
Any chance the 1333mhz is just the bios listing what the default frequency was before overclocking? Whats the label that the 1333Mhz is listed under?

Back