• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 16Gb installed: Windows see 8Gigs of RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaaa1976

Registered
Question 16Gb installed: Windows see 8Gigs of RAM, CPU-z sees 16Gb
Model of the motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Formula
Model of the memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz (CMD16GX3M4A2400C9)
Model of the CPU: Intel i7 3700k

I'm having this problem with the ASUS Maximus V Formula combined with a i7 3700k, I updated to the latest bios Version 1802 and I have the CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz (CMD16GX3M4A2400C9)CPU-Z detects 16Gb,. I tried resitting and rearranging the modules, different speeds (1333mhz to 2400mhz) and swtiching between XMP/manual/auto, but so far no luck. Any Ideas?

I also tried clearing the CMOS, without luck.

Pull the RAM and reinstall 1 stick, boot, check out your Winders Devices, shut down (if all o.k.) then add a stick, rinse, repeat. Testing your RAM along with multiple boots in this fashion will give your machine an opportunity to hiccup with a Known Quantitative in hand.

Pull the RAM and reinstall 1 stick, boot, check out your Winders Devices, shut down (if all o.k.) then add a stick, rinse, repeat. Testing your RAM along with multiple boots in this fashion will give your machine an opportunity to hiccup with a Known Quantitative in hand.

what he said lol:welcome:

Im reinstall 1 stick..reboot ..windows show 4 gb..
reinstall second stick reboot..windows show 8gb
reinstall 3rd stick...reboot..windows show still 8gb
reinstall 4rd stick...reboot..windows show still 8gb
:-/

Sounds like a bad slot on the MB to me. Pull the RAM and install one stick in the 3rd, reboot, shut down, then 4th, slots that initiated the error. (may be the 2nd and 4th, or 1st and 3rd, don't know which you installed for your test)

Last edited:
Sounds like a bad slot on the MB to me. Pull the RAM and install one stick in the 3rd, reboot, shut down, then 4th, slots that initiated the error. (may be the 2nd and 4th, or 1st and 3rd, don't know which you installed for your test)

Im also have good working corsair balistix tracer 2x4 gb ram..
vhen Im install in any slot..windows show 8gb..so I think all slot should be good..?

That is good reasoning. Considering what you've been testing it is starting to sound more like bad RAM. Did you test each stick alone in your PC? If they all show good, there may be a BIOS setting causing a conflict, hard to say. What I'm suggesting is what I'd do to try to resolve the issue. Perhaps a power issue? Is the RAM on the MB vendor's QVL list? Edit: no to the QVL list. Doesn't mean it won't work, just that it hasn't been Lab Tested/Certified by ASUS. Do you have proper connectors to the MB for all power, both 8-pin & 4-pin?

Is your BIOS up to date?

Last edited:
That is good reasoning. Considering what you've been testing it is starting to sound more like bad RAM. Did you test each stick alone in your PC? If they all show good, there may be a BIOS setting causing a conflict, hard to say. What I'm suggesting is what I'd do to try to resolve the issue. Perhaps a power issue? Is the RAM on the MB vendor's QVL list? Edit: no to the QVL list. Doesn't mean it won't work, just that it hasn't been Lab Tested/Certified by ASUS. Do you have proper connectors to the MB for all power, both 8-pin & 4-pin?

Is your BIOS up to date?

yes ..bios is new ..and I have connected just 8-pin

Im tested each stick alone in all 4 slots and all is working..computer booting to windows..
I have another cpu i5 3570k so Im going fit this cpu and if memory will be still 8gb..should I RMA the motherboard ?
I will check again for bent cpu pins..
motherboard is just 1 months old also cpu is brand new replacment faulty cpu..

And forgot to ask, did you install the 64-bit version of cpu-z? because the 32-bit will only report as if it is in a 32 bit environment, and will not be able to recognize all 8 gigs

Could also be a bent pin or 2 on the CPU. What does the BIOS itself report for installed RAM, and if not all 16 gigs which slots is it recognizing. If only two with all 4 sticks installed try just 2 sticks in the slots it doesn't say is occupied. If that is the case I would lean towards the board being faulty. As it detects it during post/BIOS but not after.

yes im install 64 bit cpu-z and show 16 Gbyte vhen bios booting.
I alkso run crucial acanner and show only 8 gb ram
attached picture
http://imageshack.us/f/59/n2ec.jpg/

If it were me I'd double check the socket and CPU to make sure all pins etc are in good working order, and then look into the board being faulty. If you know someone else that you can put your CPU in and test the 4 sticks of RAM that should be a giveaway on whether or not the board is faulty.

If the other CPU you have correctly shows all 16gb then you can say with reasonable assurance that its the CPU at fault.

If it were me I'd double check the socket and CPU to make sure all pins etc are in good working order, and then look into the board being faulty. If you know someone else that you can put your CPU in and test the 4 sticks of RAM that should be a giveaway on whether or not the board is faulty.

If the other CPU you have correctly shows all 16gb then you can say with reasonable assurance that its the CPU at fault.

I have another cpu i5 3570k so i will check
diag text
------------------
[System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/18/2013, 00:35:42
Machine name: MICHAL-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/14/13 14:32:09 Ver: 18.02
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7640MB RAM
Page File: 3401MB used, 11878MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode/QUOTE]

Just looking through the different BIOS settings and the only thing I can find that may or may not help is the iGPU stuff, if its enabled and set to use 8 gigs, it might cause what your experiencing to happen. Mind you that's just a shot in the dark.

Back