• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16gb or 32gb RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blacklist

I just bought a crosshair v formula z, and it supports up to 32 gigs of 2400 ram. I have 16 gigs of 2400 trident x right now. I've read that the more space each stick has, the slower the speeds are? Is that true? It'd be nice to have the extra and I could probly make a deal with G.Skill to give me some money off if I exchange my current ram. Also I have another thread about y computer blue screening during a game, and ive read about bottlenecking through the ram to the point that it causes blue screens. Is that rare or is it possible my system is doing that?

I saw some comments about issues with 32GB RAM on 990FX boards but I'm not sure if it's board or user issue. Depends from memory and board it may work or may not.
Also look that many memory kits on the market were prepared for Intel boards, not AMD and some are not working on AMD boards using XMP settings or you have to adjust some timings and voltages manually at higher clocks.
Other thing is that max officially supported for AMD FX series is DDR3-1866. 2133 is usually working but sometimes it's hard to stabilize it and you get random blue screens. At least I had something like that on CHVF and both FX8120 and 8320. Also some other users were reporting similar issues.
Even though I hit DDR3-3100 mark on FX8120 then I couldn't run it 100% stable at 2400 or above.

If you have random BSOD then I would try to set memory @1600 or 1866, check if it's still happening and if no then set higher CPU-NB voltage or play some with secondary timings.

Make a deal with GSkill to swap your ram out? Not likely. If it is broken, RMA it, otherwise, GSkill is not a swap meet where you can get credit for sticks if you turn them in (AFAIK anyway).

16GB is overkill for most users already... so unless you are approaching 16GB of use somehow, which I doubt looking at your other posts/uses of this system, buying more will not help with anything.

Ram is never the bottleneck unless you are using the iGPU where faster ram helps it out. That said, you are best dealing with your BSOD issues in that thread so there is not any cross posting and duplicating of efforts. :)

They said send in the ram, and they'll send out new sticks. I was going to ask them to put credit towards 32gigs so it'd only cost me 150 out of pocket instead of 350

Well, I still wouldnt shell out $150 for more ram when it is not needed. That seems like a waste of money to me personally.

If you are asking, you are not using them, LOL!

That said, heavy rendering will use a lot of ram, multiple VM's, and heavy photshop use (layers) will use a ton of ram.

Heh, yes, but something tells me the OP isn't a DBA or plays with big enough ones in the first place, LOL!

Other thing is that max officially supported for AMD FX series is DDR3-1866. 2133 is usually working but sometimes it's hard to stabilize it and you get random blue screens. At least I had something like that on CHVF and both FX8120 and 8320. Also some other users were reporting similar issues.
Even though I hit DDR3-3100 mark on FX8120 then I couldn't run it 100% stable at 2400 or above.
This quote from Woomack holds true to my rig, I have a hell of a time trying to run stable at anything over 1866 on my Fx. In addition if you are just using the Pc for surfing the net and gaming 16g is already overkill, 32g will only put more stress on the IMC and could hinder your attempts to overclock. Having 32g will only help the rig run faster if you are utilizing the 16g you already have, otherwise it's just a waste.

I do use Photoshop, occasionally, though very rarely, making projects with around a 1000 layers. But I do not think 1000 is enough to cause a problem though. 16 gigs is a sheeeeit ton if you think about it. It'd probly take 30 minutes just to load the format.

btw im running 2400 right now, and since it only supports 1866 is it just slowing it down for me then? it seems like thats how it goes usually

Back