• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

17 920 or w3520?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ekko

i decided this year i must upgrade.. the new intel socket has dropped a lot..

now i find myself torn between 2 proc
i seen proof nearly 5 ghz air with the w3520 xeon on air wow!!!
amazing..

guys really i don't know what to do..
go xeon or 920 950 ? i don't know..
i want a high oc just like everyone lol..

i was initially thinking 920 with the rampage II kingston hyperx ddr3 2000

or the xeon with the same specs..it says the rampage fits both proc...

anyway help me decide k thanks

I would never pay that much for a cpu so I would say no to the 950. I would say get either the Xeon or the 920. The Xeon seems to be a better overclocker though for just a little more.

i seen proof nearly 5 ghz air with the w3520 xeon on air wow!!!
amazing..

And as with every other CPU... Your Results Will Vary! Don't buy it because you saw 1 validation. (What type of voltage and what board???)

If you're throwing it in a Rampage II Extreme, you can forget about it... as you'll hit an Air/Water cooled Base Clock wall at around 215... you MIGHT eek out 220. And that is pushing it. Do the math and that nets you 4.5 ghz. Either of those chips should be capable of that.

You do know that the 930 is coming out in just a few weeks, right? It will net you an extra multiplier, so if you absolutely have to have the RIIE... I'd wait for the 930.

No 5GHz xeons on air at the bot Best is a 4.7

For some reason the i7 920 CPUz page is not loading, but I know for a fact I have seen multiple 4.8+ Air clocked 920s. Probably would have gotten there myself with a decent board :)

This does not mean of course that the 920 is the better buy (IMHO it is, but I bench and 900+ submissions vs 100... I buy the 920)

I have done 4.8 Ghz with a W3520 on air with volts < 1.5 so it is not impossible, not prime stable though, lol...and it was on a RIIE.

yes we will see what happens with the new 930cpu
I'm not dying to go i7 but I'm starting to feel like its upgrade time for sure..
this old machine will last the kid years to come to so ill gladly upgrade.
+1 brolloks i read about that nice job..
i think it was youtube i seen 5ghz with that on air..but they did not prime it..
then again i think about it this...
why prime it when no game to date can max out all 4 cores 100% @ 100% of the time like the test does...
i know its made to test stability but it doesn't need to push hard then any app or game to date..that's just overkill testing in my eyes

i run a 4.7ghz clock on my q66 with the rampage that i never primed or stress tested
and to date i never blue screened or anything..
i guess I'm the exception.

why prime it when no game to date can max out all 4 cores 100% @ 100% of the time like the test does...
i know its made to test stability but it doesn't need to push hard then any app or game to date..that's just overkill testing in my eyes

Everyone's definition of stable is different. Anyone that runs DC projects can tell you that 100% load 24/7 is a very feasible scenario.

i run a 4.7ghz clock on my q66 with the rampage that i never primed or stress tested
and to date i never blue screened or anything..
i guess I'm the exception.

I hope that's a typo;)

so is the w3520 still reccomended over the 930 now thats it out?
comments please

comments please

One shouldn't pay for anything more than a 920 or 930. Both of these chips can get to 4,0-4,2GHz. If you're at that level, would you pay an extra $300 just for getting to 4,3GHz which isn't even guaranteed? In so many cases they overclock to the same level. In theory, the money you'll save with going 920 instead of 950 you could buy a full watercooling setup and you could get over 4,4GHz on the 920, because you've got awesome cooling. Basically.. Never go 950.

If you're at that level, would you pay an extra $300 just for getting to 4,3GHz which isn't even guaranteed?

Though I do feel that the 920 is unbeatable, particularly for the $200 ones at Microcenter, the W3520 is nowhere near $300 more. I don't have experience with the Xeons, but I do hear that they are binned higher than the normal chips. Whether that's worth the increased price depends on who's paying.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117213&Tpk=intel w3520

comments please

Simple answer: yes

The 930 is a failure in my book. Even multiplier = bad for overclocking on 1366. You'll wind up, knocking the multi down one to equal a 920... why not just buy a 920. The w3520 is still a great buy, but unless you're cooling is up to snuff, you probably won't take it much past what a 920 would net you.

also remember that the 920 will most likely be replaced by the 930 within a quarter or two.. its like owning an antique!!

Plus, as stated above, there are no guarantees that the xeon will clock higher than a 920 or 930.. and for the price.. i'd rather go with something that there is a lot of support for right now (that being forums like ours)

the 930, while it will become mainstream, has its issues with the even multipliers.. not an issue with every motherboard/chip, but worth recognizing up front...though the 920 does have the same issue (200x20 vs 210x19) Odds seem to be the sweet spot..

Back