• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1700X Idle @ 3.4 Ghz ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Just brought home my newly built PC ( built by retail shop ) fresh install of Windows 10 of course, I cleared CMOS in case they mess around with the BIOS settings.
But strangely, my CPU is idling @ 3.4 Ghz without any activity....Temp is about 40C on a NH-U14S so far in SOME games I've seen the Temp is about 50C ++ or so ( I can't be sure, since I don't know any way or idea how to see my CPU Temp while in game without Alt Tab which I think it isn't accurate )

So yeah question is, is this normal ?? Shouldn't my CPU be Idling at lower Clocks ???
It did bump up to 3.8 Ghz ( Based on HW64INFO MAXIMUM reading ) sometimes.

I'm using the Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 Mobo.
Also I would like to know which program is the most accurate to read RyZen CPU Temp ??

Yes the CPU should be dropping lower for idle. When looking at CPU clocks with CPUz right click on the GUI and it'll show all cores. Some might be lower
The newer HWInfo64 works quite well for Ryzen

Yes the CPU should be dropping lower for idle. When looking at CPU clocks with CPUz right click on the GUI and it'll show all cores. Some might be lower
The newer HWInfo64 works quite well for Ryzen

Found the problem. I was using AMD Balanced Power Plan. But the Minimum CPU Frequency was set to like 90%...so that's why I was Idling at 3.4Ghz which is the base and I guess 100% is the 3.8 Ghz Boost...

So I set the Minimum to 5% like Window's Balanced Power Plan and it do down clock automatically...I was wondering if this is recommended since I mean AMD did recommend the AMD Balanced Power Plan...

What's everyone's Opinion ??

Found the problem. I was using AMD Balanced Power Plan. But the Minimum CPU Frequency was set to like 90%...so that's why I was Idling at 3.4Ghz which is the base and I guess 100% is the 3.8 Ghz Boost...

So I set the Minimum to 5% like Window's Balanced Power Plan and it do down clock automatically...I was wondering if this is recommended since I mean AMD did recommend the AMD Balanced Power Plan...

What's everyone's Opinion ??

I have all the cores on all of my systems at 100% speed but I have that set in the BIOS so no matter what Windows Power plan is set to, it's 100%. Cool & Quite is disabled as well as all the C states like C1, C1e, C3, C6/C7 if your BIOS has them. Then again I use my systems for Folding @ Home so I need all cores at max speed :)

IIRC AMD power plan was put there to help alleviate some core parking issues which were causing some performance drops in certain scenarios like gaming. The CPU wasn't ramping up fast enough

Its obvious OP is just lazy. Shop built PC and can't update sig.
Shouldn't be overclocking it if built by a shop. You voided it....

IIRC AMD power plan was put there to help alleviate some core parking issues which were causing some performance drops in certain scenarios like gaming. The CPU wasn't ramping up fast enough

I did not know this till now, does Win 7 & 8 have this or is it a Win 10 feature only?

- - - Updated - - -

This hurts my insides.
Building it brings the same satisfaction Lego did when I was a kid.

I'm crippled and I build my own PC's :) :comp:

hands.JPG

I have only used Win7 for benching so wasn't paying much attention just set to high. AMD power plan is kind of odd as you'll see the speed in CPUz stay at 3400 in this case but the voltage will drop to 0.37V and cycle up and down. So I assume it's saving some power just keeping the cores at the ready.

Back