• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1866 memory showing as 1600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elcid79

Hello, my installed memory is Patriot Viper III 1866 (2x8gb). When I installed it auto detected 1600. In the bios I have it manually set to 1866, but I did not Enable XMP. Is that required for 1866? Not 100% sure what xmp does. Also, how would I verify that it is operating at 1866?

Cheers.

you'd want to check the speed it is running at in CPUz under the memory tab; DRAM Frequency. it should b half of the desired speed you want, so at 800mhz your ram is really running at 1600mhz (as it is dual channel.) depending on your platform and cpu settings, it might be running at a different speed. You'll want to set your OC on your CPU first, then adjust the DRAM ratio within the BIOS to get to 1866 within cpuz. you may or may not need to use the XMP, though sometimes setting XMP simply sets it to proper 1866 and correct timing settings.

MemTest86+ and I believe MemTest86 report the memory clock speed.

You probably do have to enable XMP because your memory is actually 1600 or slower (Patriot 2133 was proved to be 1600 by removing the heatsink), and XMP enables less strict parameters.

Not always. My Crucial Ballistix LV LP kit has much tighter timings in XMP than SPD.

I went into the bios and enabled XMP, then I returned it to Auto Detection for RAM speed. When I did this, is selected 1867 (not sure why it says 1867, instead of 1866). CPUz is showing 934 roughly... So I guess its squared away.

Yup, you're all set.
Running memtest86+ and/or superpi32m for memory testing isn't a bad idea, just to make sure it's happy.

larrymoencurly said:
You probably do have to enable XMP because your memory is actually 1600 or slower, and XMP enables less strict parameters.
Not always. My Crucial Ballistix LV LP kit has much tighter timings in XMP than SPD.
Tighter means less strict, or less margin for overclocking, and I've never seen any module or chip manufacturer mention the tightness of its timings, except when Intel said its 64Kb or 256Kb 120ns DRAM averaged 40ns cells.

How is "less leeway" "less strict"?
Strict is, IMO, a poor word choice. Timings are all very strict, the ram is rated at THAT timing and none other.
In my opinion, a strict timing is one that cannot be violated, raising a timing won't violate anything, tightening it violates it.

So what you guys are saying is that you need to enable XMP to get your 1866 speeds... Hahaha..... Got a little off topic here...

I've split off that crazy off-topic stuff elcid79; sorry for the thread derail.

I meant to include that I was just joking, I figured it out when I enabled XMP.

I was actively doing it literally while you posted; you didn't prompt it. It was an ongoing problem. :)

Hey Guys

I am looking at getting the same memory as the thread starter, Viper 3 1866, http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/specs/PV316G186C0K.pdf for $99

The other option is Viper 3 2133, http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/specs/PV316G213C1K.pdf for $130

looking at the spec sheet these look like the same ram with different clocks and timings, would it be possible to get the 1866 modules and set it to 2133 clock and timing specs, therefore basically getting the 2133 modules $31 cheaper, is this possible??

If it is again looking at the base clocks they both have the same base clock of 1600 with 9 9 9 24, could i get a set of these and set it to the 1866 or 2133 clocks and timings and save even more money.

Also could the same theory as above be applied to other ram kits ie, ripjaws, snipers etc

Is this possible or am i missing some fundamental thing here??

Cheers Alteran

Its possible.. but certainly not guaranteed. There is a reason they are not labled as 2133 sticks.

These Patriots are weird. Some are overclocking really good and some are barely running at stock settings.
There is big chance for 2133 on 1866 kit but it's not guaranteed ..
I would look for something on tighter timings as it's giving higher chance for high clock. From CL10 it's already hard to make something good.

Last edited:
Back