• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

18gb 15000rpm scsi drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geofrancis

ive been looking on ebay for hard drives and i noticed you can get 10000rpm and 15000rpm 18gb hard drives for very cheap around $25. and a scsi controller for 30 or 40.

i was wondering would one of these drives or some in raid 0 would it be any good for my games and pagefile?

or even operating system if it was raid 5?

compared to say a 200gb sata drive with all my videos and music on it

SCSI is best for things that recieve multiple calls to the drives. Like a server.

They are fast drives and have benifits. Though in a desktop, your not going to see much if anything over a modern speedy drive. Unless it is a 320 setup. It will not do much past a Raptor in a desktop.

There is things about SCSI the go beyond the speed of the drive itself and seek times. If you use a few drives you have to get a terminator too.

http://www.staff.uni-mainz.de/neuffer/scsi/why_scsi.html

Yep. My little 9.1GB U2W 10K Cheetahs screamed. Seven in RAID0 were pretty fast too. 120MB/s over two 80MB channels. Best of all...it was cheap - even for 4 years ago.

I just mostly remember them being loud though :D

dicecca112 said:
not to mention they are damn loud

Can I see a video or sound recording? It just doesn't fit in my head an HDD being loud...

If you mean the crackling noise that I remember from old old drives, but it has been like 8 years since I don't hear noises from hdds if know what I mean

[EDIT]

HOW IN THE HELL I DID DOUBLE POST??!!!

I was kinda distracted by music and talking to a friend and I didn't even notice what I was doing, any mod can delete the one above and this edit after that

Douken, SCSI are just loud drives. They are not designed to be run in a living room. They are meant to be put in a server room and with loud fans. Makes it easier for the operator to ignore the phone.:rolleyes:

So no special designs were implimented to quiet them down.

You hear them spinning and the seeks are actually not the best sound in the world to hear. For a geek it is a beat to tap a foot to. Hearing 5 or more high speed drives firing off at once is far from quiet.

Oh, and SCSI has had NCQ built into it for ma very long time ago. So if you happen to ask more then one thing of the array at once. It will pass it to you very fast. That is honestly the sweet part of SCSI. The controllling hardware has some logic to it. ATA is just starting to get SCSI like attributes. I still have yet to see any ATA controller work like my old server did. I could do so many things before the storage got all stuffy on me. It just passed the data along.

Syncronous requests (I/O & CmdQ) rock socks on SCSI. Not to mention the error correction built in.

Part of the reason the Raptor came to market with those techs is because it's more or less a SCSI HD with a modified controller board ;). I love my SCSI drives. I have a 36GB IBM SCSI HD. 4.3ms Seek Time on a drive from 2001 (and even then it was an old model). One of my favorite things about SCSI was being able to string many devices (7 + host on the narrow SCSI implementations and 15 + host on the Wide iirc) from the SCSI channel. In my experience that made cable management much easier than having 4+ different IDE cables flying everywhere.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one nice thing about the 10K and 15Ks (as alluded too earlier with the seek time) is that they are super responsive. There is very little lag and if you happen to be multi tasking multiple IO intensive operations then you'll see a big improvement over ATA.

Just a comment on the noise aspect, try to find drives with fluid dynamic bearings (FDB). The Fujitsu MAS, MAU and MAX series have these, and even some MAMs. These'll run relatively quiet relative to a stock Socket 478 Intel HSF and generic PSU, even with an open case.
Drives that don't have this are annoyingly loud when outside a case. :p

I think the FBD were cooler running to. I remember my old array was hot on top of bieng noisey.

Back