• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1998 ASUS P28 I found in my back closet...!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MM7600

Registered
Hi guys, I'm learning repair and so far been able to fix all the old desktop towers that were gathering dust in my back closet. Then I got to the oldest one... a "custom built" relic in the classic 90's cream colored case! What a surprise to peek inside that thing! So my question is: If I get this thing repaired, is it good for anything further than nostalgic/academic purposes? It's the old crazy looking PII that stands right up at attention. Thing I noticed though is that the MB is quite comprehensive. Has 8 card slots where my HP towers don't even have that many. Perhaps there is a lot I don't know about that so anyone with any infor/ideas would be appreciated. Let's see if I can put some coding of my own in here. Ha.. they work but everyone can see them... DOH!

1. Is there any adapter apparatus or whatever to upgrade the PII or as I assume, am I stuck with it for all of time on this board?
2. Regarding repair status: Can't remember what the syptoms were but there is nothing at all now. Just dead! Where do I begin to diagnose this beast?
3. Found the same old P28 on eBay for about $60.00 used of course...
Here's a shot of it... Also, the case this thing is in is huge...!!!

On a final note: This was my first Internet computer so there definitely is some nostalgia factor here. I began learning HTML hand coding on it... www.12GaugeMusic.com
AND.... I still have my old 286 my brother-in-law built for me in who knows when... 1991-92? Yikes!

Last edited by a moderator:
There were "Slocket" Adapters that allowed you to install a P3 on that board. You could go up to 1100mHz IIRC. Beyond that you needed the 'Tualatin' board. I think I still have a couple of 1100's and a Slocket adapter laying around here somewhere.

Z

Hey bud, I removed the html from your post (<br>). The forum will only render BBcode, because HTML code is unsafe to render. You can find a list of all the available codes and their syntax at the following link, but most all of this can be done in the editor box when you compose your post by using the buttons, which makes it easier. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

There is likely something failed on the motherboard, but you'd need to upload pictures to the forum in order to determine that. We could look and see if it has capacitor bulge, as that was common on boards of this era. This shows how to upload images:
OCFinsertimages.png

If the motherboard looks fine, it could also be a bad PSU but you'd need a multimeter to test that.

Back