• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB dual channel or 1.5GB single channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mcastleberg

Registered
Ok, I've got a question. I have 3 512MB sticks of PC3200. 2 of them I just got today and the same brand etc for running dual channel. However, with my 3rd stick in the 3rd slot I can only run in single channel mode. My question is - will I get better performance with just 1gb in dual channel mode or with 1.5gb running in single channel mode?

It depends on what your application is. If you are not overclocking and have memory intensive applications running, I'd say stick that extra stick in. Maybe you could run synthetic benchmarks such as Sciencemark and everyday applications to ascertain the differences. Let us know if running DC for your application, entails a massive performance increase.

Quite clearly, you have only two choices, why not run a few tests and let us know how you fare? :)

Back