• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st overclock on sempron 145 is this right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was getting abit skeptical of the HT Link speed and Dram at time of typing, i was going to adjust the HT Link closer to 2000mhz but went against it in case you needed untouched info.

Ok HT Link speed is now on 1890Mhz

I changed what i think is the ram settings to 9 9 9 24 in my bios, going off the CL tRCD etc names i find in CPU Z, i think i have done it right.

You asked to bump up my CPUNB in the bios to 1.225.
I have a CPUNB Frequency setting but only goes from auto to 4.00x -10.00x
I maybe overlooking the option if its worded different but im quite sure it isn't there.

Ill enclose ram spd and cpu images

Attachments

• bios options.JPG
    bios options.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 279
  • ram timings.JPG
    ram timings.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 263
  • SPDimage.JPG
    SPDimage.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 272
  • Memoryimage.JPG
    Memoryimage.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 266
  • CPUimage.JPG
    CPUimage.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 267
4-10 sounds correct for a socket AM3 motherboard. 10x corresponds to the stock 2000mhz. Right now you are probably on the 7 multiplier. If you get up to 180 BCLK you will be at 1960MHZ on the HT link using a 7x multilier so you have a bit of room before you wall out.

Looks right but it would have been more helpful to show us a pic of the Memory tab of CPU-z than two pics of the SPD tab. The Memory tab displays current frequency and timings while the SPD tab shows manufacturers recommendations.

In view of the fact that you are overclocking your memory frequency it might help to increase the memory voltage from 1.5 to 1.55.

I would also bump your CPU-NB voltage up to about 1.225-1.25 since your NB frequency is getting overclocked pretty high.

To confirm stability of an overclock you would need to run at least a 2 hr. Prime95 blend test.

Last edited:
I, for one, am very impressed! I had your board's bigger brother, the M4A78LT-M, and I couldn't get my PhenomII x2 220 above 3.3GHz without it crashing, no matter what I did.

Ha ha I never realised I double posted the SPD I'll put that Memory one on when I get home, along with looking at my voltages.

Might be an hour or two. Traffic is horrendous getting home at this time.

Quick question will this overclocking adjust my graphics card speed too? Only that on a half hour game of skyrim this morning it's maximum temperature reached 72 degrees Celsius.(I've not monitored this before as it doesn't run that hot on Prime95)

I fail to remember the exact card name off the top of my head but it only has a heatsink and no fan so I expect it to get high,

Anyways I'll post more info when I get home.

Thanks again to everyone involved with this thread.

Dlaw after what I have been browsing I didn't expect mine to be making these figures in all honesty.

It must be my computers way of apologising about not letting me run my 2nd core ha ha

Ha ha I never realised I double posted the SPD I'll put that Memory one on when I get home, along with looking at my voltages.

Might be an hour or two. Traffic is horrendous getting home at this time.

Quick question will this overclocking adjust my graphics card speed too? Only that on a half hour game of skyrim this morning it's maximum temperature reached 72 degrees Celsius.(I've not monitored this before as it doesn't run that hot on Prime95)

No. Overclocking the CPU and ram does not affect the clock of the GPU but you can overclock that as well on its own. The higher temps on the GPU are probably due to the higher ambient temps in the box from overclocking the CPU. But GPUs will stand higher temps than CPUs will. 80c on the GPUs is generally okay. You might look into a better case with more effective ventilation or at least put extra fans in the existing case. If all the fan spots are taken, consider getting more powerful fans.

Those Semprons are generally great overclockers as they stay so cool, even on the stock cooler.

I fail to remember the exact card name off the top of my head but it only has a heatsink and no fan so I expect it to get high,

Anyways I'll post more info when I get home.

Thanks again to everyone involved with this thread.

Looks right but it would have been more helpful to show us a pic of the Memory tab of CPU-z than two pics of the SPD tab. The Memory tab displays current frequency and timings while the SPD tab shows manufacturers recommendations.

In view of the fact that you are overclocking your memory frequency it might help to increase the memory voltage from 1.5 to 1.55.

I would also bump your CPU-NB voltage up to about 1.225-1.25 since your NB frequency is getting overclocked pretty high.

To confirm stability of an overclock you would need to run at least a 2 hr. Prime95 blend test.

I belive i have changed these, keyword believe as I didnt have memory voltage or CPU-NB voltage on my bios
All i had available voltage wise was Memory Overvoltage and VDDNB Overvoltage. I assume these are right and i have adjusted according to your specifications.

Quick question, how did you work out/know my memory voltage and CPU-NB, i may be overlooking a segment on HWmonitor or CPU-Z but im sure i couldn't see them displayed.

only just started Prime95 so the temps are still low bout i thought maybe you might need voltages off there.

Attachments

• CPUimage.JPG
    CPUimage.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Memoryimage.JPG
    Memoryimage.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 251
  • SPDimage.JPG
    SPDimage.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 252
  • temps.JPG
    temps.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 252
Memory Overvoltage and VDDNB Overvoltage are just alternate ways of expressing what I was talking about. Terminology differences between one bios and another can be confusing but with more experience you will recognize the variations and it gets easier to find what you are looking for.

CPU-NB frequency is 1890 MHz...it is being underclocked, not overclocked...

3.78 GHz is a very good overclock at 1.344v for a Sempron. I would just leave it there core wise. You can work on CPU-NB next.

Remember, HT Link works fine between 200 (not recommended for 3D performance) and 2800 MHz, it is specified to work at at least 2600 on AM3 motherboards. Don't even worry about it.

Cheers BeepBeep2. The beast is currently. Maybe an hour and half into Prime95 and everything looks good there.
So far I have noticed a rather quicker performance increase than I thought I would.
This is addicting =)

Well, I'm impressed, both by your results and by the fact that a Sempron could even run that fast at that low of a voltage.

I always considered Sempron's to be pretty low-end, maybe not so much though if they can get 1GHz over stock overclocks so easily.

So far I have noticed a rather quicker performance increase than I thought I would.
This is addicting =)

Yep, it gets addicting pretty quick.

After a 6 shout Prime96 blend test, what resulted in being 8 and abit hours as i nodded off to sleep was a success, no crashing freezing or any errors what so ever.

Results are as follows

Attachments

• temps.JPG
    temps.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 241
  • Memoryimage.JPG
    Memoryimage.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 241
  • SPDimage.JPG
    SPDimage.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 242
  • CPUimage.JPG
    CPUimage.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 240
Hey, good news. Are you going to push it more? I would try to get the CPUNB frequency up to the 2400-2600 mhz range as that improve cache memory performance.

You're memory could also do with tightening up to jedec #3 8-8-8-22, as there running out of spec where they are at the moment :thup: by the way I have had a few of these sempys and they are the bargain of the year, especially the 140's as they have a pretty good chance to unlock to a dual core and still clock to 4ghz+

The JEDEC timings are wrong in CPU-Z, AFAIK there is no 888 MHz or 1036 MHz JEDEC spec. :p
He is running 1080 though, most 1333 CL9 kits are capable of 1066 7-7-7.

He would get better bandwidth at 1440 CL9 on the 3:8 divider if his ram can overclock that far.

You're memory could also do with tightening up to jedec #3 8-8-8-22, as there running out of spec where they are at the moment :thup: by the way I have had a few of these sempys and they are the bargain of the year, especially the 140's as they have a pretty good chance to unlock to a dual core and still clock to 4ghz+

I think earlier in the thread he mentioned he tried unlocking the second core but not successfully.

I think earlier in the thread he mentioned he tried unlocking the second core but not successfully.

Yeah, the 140's are the champs for unlocking, I've had three 140's and two 145's and all the 140's have unlocked and not one of the 145's, and the difference in clock speed once overclocked between the two is not huge either, maybe 100-150mhz.

Hey quickly updating this thread on my phone, I haven't had a chance to adjust my ram settings again.

I was assuming I just change the ram setting to whatever JEDEC matches my closest ram Mhz.

BeepBeep2 you say I Wil get better bandwidth on 1440 CL9 divider

3.8, where exactly or how do you work out or find that?

I'm not really clued up on ram still, I assumed my only available settings where the 4 JEDEC one's

Back