• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 dead boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chug

Apologies it's a bit long, best explain the full story. I've got 2 itx am3 boards. One is a sapphire 785g, one is a minix 785g, and I have 2 processors, a 240e and a 245e.

I bought the sapphire new, had the 245e from an old build. Put it together, it worked for a bit, I managed to play far cry 3 for a good while with little issues. Every now and then it'd crash, blue screen, and/or restart. At bios on restart it would sometimes say something along the lines of "hyper transport snyc and/or flood error" Something like that.

I did overclock it slightly, only to 3.4ghz and a decent cooler (no voltage increase though) after a couple crashes I put it back to stock and carried on. It still did the same thing, say once or twice a day.

Anyway, it died after a week or so of use and wouldn't turn on in the end. I put it in the cupboard and left it at that. Picked up the mini and 240e on ebay down the line.

Didn't use it for a while, just built it up, thought I'd use the better cpu (245e) On first boot it came up with the same hyper transport issue. I restarted, it went away, installed windows, was using it fine. CPU was at 14C! But the northbridge was at 58C. Didn't notice that for a while, went for a quick urination whilst considering the quietest way of cooling that down for the moment. Come back and the computer was on but nothing on the screen. Balls.

Now turns on but shows nothing on the screen.

So I tried the sapphire with the 240e, same issue. Thought it could be the power supply, so tried another working old setup (core2duo) and it fires up fine.

The psu is a cheap one that might as well have a happy clapping panda on the front, but it works with the other board and has never gone near its limit.

So is there anything I can do/try here next? I've taken the mini batteries out will leave them for a bit.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Put the battery back in, still nothing. Tried a known working gpu and still nothing. Both boards are the same.

My wonder is if the 245e has somehow killed both boards?

Or maybe I'm just doing something stupid?

My initial thought is that you are correct about the 245e killing both boards. But have you done any testing of the ram?

How would one go about doing that?

I've taken the ram out and tried to boot it with one stick and without any still no joy. I've tried other known working ram on the Sapphire too, but the Minix uses sodimms, so can't swap that about with much.

Swapped the processors back in vain, still not a sausage.

Do you have other computers you can try the ram in?

I would also advise taking the boards out of the cases and assembling the components in a table top in order to eliminate electrical short/ground out issues. We call it "breadboarding". Assemble them with bare minimum components.

I would consider getting a Sempron 140 off ebay as a low cost test CPU. check market place for a cheap sodim.
mewegg occasionally has am3+ motherboards on sale.
Given these are 785 boards and 240e-245e it might be time to start over, newer.

I do for the sapphire, but the board doesn't even post without any ram. Plus I've swapped over the ram from a machine I know works 100% and it doesn't post.

Both are being tested on a desk too.

Yeah I could upgrade, but both will do what I need it to do and spare, plus I spent all my money on crack and hookers so can't afford yet another build at the moment.

I think it's cpu , board, whiskey and woman time myself, all four of these will cure most ills.

Apologies, bit of a newb in this department.

Let me just get this straight, so I fit the cpu to the board, pour whiskey on them and stuff them in a woman for some time to solve my issues? How long should it be up there for? What temperature?

that's not the combo I'd use, I'd think the whiskey would be better put to use inside of you.

Ok, so drink the whiskey before stuffing the components into the woman? Is this for better aim?

One of the worst possibilities is the CPU died and is taking motherboards after it.
Motherboards are out of warranty?
Possibly visiting a Sapphire forum (if there is one?) might help.

Low budget, admittedly dependent on possible funds, look for motherboard/ CPU combo on :
overclockers.com classified
overclock.net marketplace
anandtech.com For Sale/ For Trade
Hardocp For Sale For Trade
local thrift stores or Craigslist

fwiw I sympathize I have an Asrock 880GM LE/Athlon II 250 combo that is dead, 250 posts on a Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 with malfunction code on bench. Will not load windows.
I'm about to try Semperon, to see what happens.

Back