• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 2 pin fan header wiring question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jphwx7

While messing around inside my Cooler Master Storm Trooper case, I managed to tug on a case fan cable and separate the two wires from their respective 2 pin fan header. If I knew which wire went where, this would be an easy fix, but alas, two wires are colored identically and bear no distinguishing marks from one another.

Does it matter which is which, and if it does, is there any way for me to distinguish between the two? Will trial-and-error potentially cause electronic problems with the fan/fan header? How bad of a mistake was this?

It does matter which is which, yes. If they are colored the same, there is not going to be an easy way to detect what each wire is. Hooking them up wrong for a few seconds should not hurt the fans.

Ah, then I guess I can just hook everything up and if the fan doesn't spin up I'll know I've got it backwards?

Back