• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me choose a new case!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Synn21588

Registered
Alright, currently I've got a TT Commander G42 and the headroom for my AIO is, well, minimal. I can just BARELY fit an AIO in there, and only with one set of fans. I'd like to upgrade so that I can run push/pull on the radiator. I've been checking out different cases, and I've found a few that I like.

Must haves:

-obviously, excellent airflow for cooling,
-great potential for water cooling setups,
-windowed panel
-effective cable management
-5.25 slots for my fan controller head and optical drive

Preferred:

-Plenty of space/clearance for showcasing components and upgrading to larger/more components, such as dual GPU
-I like the idea of segregating components to reduce heat inside the case and increase air flow by removing obstructions
-removable dust filters

The Corsair Air540 has always garnered my attention, but I've heard people say they run out of room quickly with them. I like the design of it, but the sideways 5.25 bays make my fan controller impractical, though i suppose I could always just shut the display off.

The other day I was walking through Fry's and the Thermaltake Core x9 caught my attention and I really fell in love with it. It's huge, unnecessarily huge, almost gaudy, which I surprisingly kind of like about it. The modularity of it all is very appealing as well. But the same hugeness that I like about it, also gives me concern, speaking in terms of emptiness. The only other thing that makes me apprehensive is the fact the the motherboard lays flat. I want to showcase my system, not stare at the GPU fans all the time, and for all of it's hugeness, it seems like concealment of the wiring might be an issue. I really hate wires.

I also got a chance to check out the Corsair 760T while I was there, and it's a beautiful case. i love the full sized window panel. Seems like you can cram one hell of a system in there! But alas, it also seemed rather cookie-cutter.

Towers like the CM HAF X or CM Storm Trooper have front panels that look cheap to me, kinda like a 1989 Honda civic sporting an extra large wing and super wide body kit.

The Enthoo Pro is very sleek, simiplified, and sexy, but doesn't seem to have many fan setup options.

The new Thermaltake Core P5 is a really really neat idea, but lacks practicality.

The Thermaltake Core v71 seems like it has just about everything I'm looking for, absent a PSU cover to streamline things. I like the modularity of it, has a bazillion fan options, can support massive water cooling setups, and is clean and sleek. The Core v51 is a viable option as well for a mid size tower and seems highly cusomtizeable. I also like the Thermaltake t81.

I guess I have quite a few to consider here. So far, I'm stuck between the following:

Thermaltake: v51, v71, t81, core x9
Corsair: air540, 760t, 780t

Help!!

Lookings to spend, preferably, 100-150, but am willing to go as high as 200 for something I really like.

I think the Air 540 is a solid choice. It will fit up to 5x120mm worth of radiators so you should be set there. Seems like it fits all your needs...

I agree with earthdog the air 540 is a good case. As far as room goes you are not gonna run out real quick unless you are trying to cram a large amount in. I have posted a picture below of my build in an air 540. I plan to add an additional 240 rad up top and a second triple fan video card. It is also really easy to build in.

Building my Sons graduation present in a 540

Not to many choices out there for a low cost case that will accommodate a push pull 240 or 280

Back