• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2011v3 MATX woes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cdawall

So I currently have GB X99M-Gaming 5 in my daily/gaming rig. It works great with the [email protected] and a single RX480. After adding a second RX480 to the mix I get constant shut downs under load. I tried fans over the MOSFET heatsinks (board has a heatpipe connecting the chipset/mosfet coolers) and it prolonged the fail time, but didn't fix it. I can run about an hour and the system shuts off, sits for about 30 seconds and powers back up. GB support responded in a timely manner, but have no fix for the issue.

I assume this is a power delivery issue on the board, something is getting hot that shouldn't and I am popping an OCP or overtemp for a component. At this point I am going to just give up on the GB board. Of the MATX boards available am I safe to assume the Asus X99-M WS is going to not have this issue? It has 2, 8 pins for the CPU and a 6 pin for the PCI-e.

I am tired of this non-working crossfire nonsense. Adding the second card caused more issues than I could have imagined. The cards test good in another non-GB MATX board. Ironically my brothers rig with the same motherboard has the same issue and this happens with the video cards at stock or overclocked and the CPU at stock or overclocked on both rigs.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84D68929

I know some of the rx480s had an issue where they were drawing to much power through the pci-e channel causing problems. Are you running the latest bios on the 2 gpu's as well as the latest driver?

It may not be a mobo issue and instead may be a gpu issue.

They aren't reference cards. I have a pair of Nitro+'s that pull power correctly over an 8 pin PCI-e and the bus. These work perfectly fine on my CHVF even without the extra power connector for the PCI-e

I was testing 2x GTX970 and some other cards without issues on ASRock X99M Killer 3.1. So far my favourite X99 board because of memory overclocking and some additional features. I had it for over a year ready for benching on dice/ss and I've never had issues ( 1.8V on CPU etc ) ... till last week when I made RMA but I know how I was using it and I'm not blaming the board.

Issues with RX480 were almost only with reference cards on early drivers. Somehow most users were complaining about problems on 990FX boards.

Yep those 480s try to draw too much through the PCI-e connector for sure. All MATX boards have less robust power circuits than comparable full-sized boards. So why do you want to run dual RX 480s in CF anyway? It'd be easier to just sell them for $200 a piece and pickup a single GTX 1070 for $400 which will have about the same performance, use much less power and generate much less heat.

I was testing 2x GTX970 and some other cards without issues on ASRock X99M Killer 3.1. So far my favourite X99 board because of memory overclocking and some additional features. I had it for over a year ready for benching on dice/ss and I've never had issues ( 1.8V on CPU etc ) ... till last week when I made RMA but I know how I was using it and I'm not blaming the board.

Issues with RX480 were almost only with reference cards on early drivers. Somehow most users were complaining about problems on 990FX boards.

That's good to know I can get one of those cheaper than the Asus board, but on that note the color scheme on the Asus fits my build so much better. It might be worth it for that alone. I honestly hate how cheap the Asrock heatsinks look and the case is white and black. The GB board was free and that is the only reason I haven't really been bothered by the color on it.

Yep those 480s try to draw too much through the PCI-e connector for sure. All MATX boards have less robust power circuits than comparable full-sized boards. So why do you want to run dual RX 480s in CF anyway? It'd be easier to just sell them for $200 a piece and pickup a single GTX 1070 for $400 which will have about the same performance, use much less power and generate much less heat.

perfrel_3840_2160.png

most of the games I play support xfire so I go based off of the supporting numbers which put a pair of 480's closer to a 1080 than a 1070, on top of that we are talking about my non-reference cards with substantially updated drivers. The pair performs as good if not better than a 1080 in most games at the resolution I play at and I payed under $200 for the second card so it wasn't exactly a huge cost upgrade for me.

Ya I too have heard about the rx480 crossfire issue. I really think you will have that issue with any motherboard. I would read up on it and see if there are any bios updates you can do. Mobo or Gpu. But unfortunately that is a recurring issue and a new motherboard may not fix it.

They work fine on my 990FX board, in crossfire. The 480's aren't the only cards I have had issues on this board with my pair of 290's shut down in the same manor.

Then I may be absolutely incorrect. I have had two Gigabyte boards and personally I was not impressed with the power draw. My Asus I have now has given me an overclock with a lower vcore than Gigabyte has given me. I just remember hearing about that rx 480 recurrence but I hope you get it figured out.

All you can do my friend. And if it doesnt fix the problem amazon has 30 return policy. Fry's has the best 30 day no questions asked policy I've ever ever seen. A simple "I don't like it" and they refund anything.

Back