• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED [2014] What type of cooling do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What type of cooling do you use?

• Air Cooling

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Water Cooling (Custom Loops and AIO Units)

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
This poll is one of a series of polls designed to give members the opportunity to see what the community, as a whole, has chosen in regards to cooling choices. It will also give anyone who feels the need, the opportunity to explain why they have chosen that method and possibly help others decide on their next cooling setup. This poll, along with the others will be open for one year, after which a new poll will be made to allow future members to show their choices, current members to list any changes in their choices, and to allow members to track shifts in trends over an extended period.

Having said that, what is the primary cooling method used in your 24/7 PC? Air, water, or something else?

Previous Polls' Results Trend

cooling_poll_chart_2013.jpg

Previous Polls and Results
(Click a year for a direct link to that year's poll.)

Year | Votes | Air Cooling | Water Cooling | Other Cooling 2005-2007 | 434 | 72.12% | 25.12% | 2.76%
2008 | 586 | 78.50% | 19.11% | 2.39%
2009 | 413 | 76.27% | 22.52% | 1.21%
2010 | 305 | 78.03% | 20.33% | 1.64%
2011 | 280 | 63.93% | 32.86% | 3.21%
2012 | 304 | 56.25% | 40.46% | 3.29%
2013 | 256 | 50.00% | 48.44% | 1.56%

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why isn't "water cooling" separated into custom loops and all-in-one units?
A: Both custom and AIO loops use a pump to force water through a block which moves heat to a radiator so that it can be whisked away with fans. That is the definition of water cooling, so both are, in fact, water cooling.

Q: Well, what about performance and price differences between custom and AIO water? Don't those validate the suggestion of separation?
A: No, water is water and air is air. Air coolers have a large performance and price difference between the low-end and high-end as well.

Last edited:
Interesting numbers, looks like the AIOs are catching on.

Yeah, looks like we might have more guys using water cooling than air in 2014.

Waaaater!

Custom loops on the 24/7 machine & benching machine. The HTPC used to have an AIO until its case shrunk to necessitate the (gag me) stock cooler.

AIO on the daily driver (NZXT Kraken 280mm) and custom on the benching/review machine. Same as last year. :)

only pc that is wc is my main gaming pc all the rest are air, mostly stock coolers.

Still giving my TRUE 120 some love. Air is just so easy to set and forget. I love the idea of water cooling and having a cooler and quieter PC, but now that I'm in college, I just don't have the time or money to get a nice loop set up properly. :shrug:

We should separate packaged water cooling and custom water cooling as they're very different in terms of performance and ease of use.

During the summer, the air in the room is cooled by R433b ( http://i39.tinypic.com/r7sk0j.jpg ) and the R433b is cooled by water (heat pump water heater). Technically, the PC itself is air cooled.

ya know, technically most "watercooling" systems are "aircooling", unless you are NOT using a radiator (or any kind of heat exchanger to dissipate to air)... like geothermal cooling for example :D

ya know, technically most "watercooling" systems are "aircooling", unless you are NOT using a radiator (or any kind of heat exchanger to dissipate to air)... like geothermal cooling for example :D
What about if you use a heat pump to make hot water for showers? Probably more in reach than geothermal for most.

Sometimes you make absolutely no sense.
Here's a commercial product that works in that manner:
http://www.airgenerate.com/ati66.html
It takes heat from the air around it and uses it to make hot water, cooling the room it's in as a side effect. In theory, you could make something similar that has the evaporator mounted directly to the CPU, bypassing the air cooling altogether. In practice, there are many factors that make such an idea impractical for most, but the same is true of geothermal.

Sigh. Yes, it exists but not as it applies to CPUs. A multiple server setup could probably heat water for practical use in a house, but a single CPU could never keep up with the hot water demands of a typical household.

Back