• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24" Sony CRT or Dell 24" LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm a hardcore COD2 gamer and currently I'm using a P1110 Trinitron FD 21" CRT that runs 1280x1024@100hz, 1600x1200@85hz, 1880x1440@75hz

Most the time I'm at 1280x1024 to play COD2 w/ 4xAA 16xAF on Directx9 around 200fps, but everyonce in a while I do 1880x1440 and get around 80-100fps with 4xAA 8xAF on Directx9

I have (2) 7800GTX's(520/1300) and a 3700+(2.75Ghz) so I'm pretty sure I can handle gaming at 1920x1200 and still be close to 100fps if I just use 2xAA and 8xAF.

So now to get back on the main subject, I would like to know everyones honest opinions from either personal experiance or hearing from a close friend in regards to gaming on the...

Dell 24" 2405FPW Widescreen LCD that everyone is getting for around $800
or
The Sony GDMFW900 24" CRT Monitor that you can pick up for around $400.

I have a good amount of room for either choice too
pccase14hj0km.jpg

Well if all your doing is gaming then dont bother with the CRT, get the Dell but if you use any graphics or video applications then the CRT is the way to go. I love my 24" CRT its great for both games and video/graphics work.

If you have the desktop space, don't mind a monitor that weighs 90+ pounds, and aren't going to be moving it any time soon, I would go for the Sony. The quality is superb, excellent contrast and vibrant colors; it truly is worth far more than the $400 it can be had for these days.
If price isn't the issue, get two. 3840x1200 is absolutely amazing to behold.
the 2405 is great for a portable system that will be moved around a lot, but if you are going to be stationary, get the CRT.

OMG 180lbs of CRT on the table would be amazing !!!! I think the table would need a support beam in the middle of it :p

Ðïëgo Ðëlgådo said:
OMG 180lbs of CRT on the table would be amazing !!!! I think the table would need a support beam in the middle of it :p
I have 2 21" CRTs on my crappy Ikea desk. One is 85+, the other is 90+, and along with my Wacom, keyboard, subwoofer, and junk, I must be pushing close to 225-250lbs on the poor desk.
Been like that for over two years now and aside from a half inch bow in the desk, it is holding up fine.
Still waiting for the day it snaps in half while I'm sitting there and pins my legs under the combined weight of it all...

futura2001 said:
I have 2 21" CRTs on my crappy Ikea desk. One is 85+, the other is 90+, and along with my Wacom, keyboard, subwoofer, and junk, I must be pushing close to 225-250lbs on the poor desk.
Been like that for over two years now and aside from a half inch bow in the desk, it is holding up fine.
Still waiting for the day it snaps in half while I'm sitting there and pins my legs under the combined weight of it all...

LOL dang that would suck :p

Echo_ said:
why are you playing on a 5:4 ratio on a 4:3 ratio screen?

I'm running a 5:4 on a 4:3 ratio screen because the 2 times of going to Quakecon while lugging my monitor with me and about 30 LAN parties over 2 year time period no one has ever said that the format for my monitor is incorrect or looks incorrect, I have only heard very positive comments coming from people... I guess thats why I'm running a 5:4 on a 4:3 - I don't know you stumped me :shrug: can you or someone else please tell me why?

XGA 1024×768 4:3 786K
XGA+ 1152×864 4:3 995K <-- so I should run this format?
SXGA 1280×1024 5:4 1.3M
SXGA+ 1400×1050 4:3 1.5M <-- so I should run this format?

I think this is a personal preference kind of thing that only you can decide. I use a 22 inch Mitsubishi Diamontron CRT and I really love it. Everyone else in my 4 computer household has LCD's, but I prefer my screen hands down. If I were choosing, I'd go for the Sony, no questions asked, but that's me. Good luck with whichever you pick.

bro, if you can afford it grab the 30" dell for $1400 if you know somone living in canada :p

Ðïëgo Ðëlgådo said:
I'm running a 5:4 on a 4:3 ratio screen because the 2 times of going to Quakecon while lugging my monitor with me and about 30 LAN parties over 2 year time period no one has ever said that the format for my monitor is incorrect or looks incorrect, I have only heard very positive comments coming from people... I guess thats why I'm running a 5:4 on a 4:3 - I don't know you stumped me :shrug: can you or someone else please tell me why?

XGA 1024×768 4:3 786K
XGA+ 1152×864 4:3 995K <-- so I should run this format?
SXGA 1280×1024 5:4 1.3M
SXGA+ 1400×1050 4:3 1.5M <-- so I should run this format?
play 1600x1200 your comp can handle it unless its stuff is too small for you then 1400x1050 would work

I can say that having the Dell 2405 next to my Dell P1690 24" Trinitron the choice is an easy one. The LCD does not have the black depth, tends to look red, and does not handel any other res very well IMO. Most people who have not had a large CRT will sit infront of a large LCD and be blown away, but for thoes of us that know how colors are supposed to look or our jobs depend on it, then the CRT is the only way to go.

infinitevalence said:
I can say that having the Dell 2405 next to my Dell P1690 24" Trinitron the choice is an easy one. The LCD does not have the black depth, tends to look red, and does not handel any other res very well IMO. Most people who have not had a large CRT will sit infront of a large LCD and be blown away, but for thoes of us that know how colors are supposed to look or our jobs depend on it, then the CRT is the only way to go.

I know exactly what you mean. I've had fellow artist friends tell me "Hey, LCDs aren't that bad... they look black."
And then I tell them that LCDs are the "2b pencils" of monitors. Like pencils, they look black when you have nothing darker such as charcoal or ink to compare it to, but as soon as you put an LCD right next to a properly calibrated CRT, it looks terrible...

I totally agree with you...but for those of us that are not job-dependant on our display should be quite happy with the LCD (a good one anyway)

For me, all the pluses (small footprint, DVI, true 24" display, I'm sure there's others I can't think of) outweigh the negatives.

before deciding on this display I was totally againt LCD's for the reasons you are talking about (color accuracy, limited res settings, etc) ...but after just having played D3 in ultra settings at 16x12 (black bars on the side didn't bother me like I thought they would) and FEAR in max settings @ 1920x1200 .....I think this display is perfect for me. I couldn't be happier. But I suppose if I was a graphics related professional...I'd probably have to go for the CRT.

Dont get me wrong im all for the LCDs i think the are great for 99% of people out there, i was just trying to give as much info to help the descision making process.

Back