• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24" Sony CRT or Dell 24" LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're a hard core gamer there is no alternative. CRT is the only choice. Perhaps sometime in the future (hopefully near) I'll have to ammend that statement. Though right now, there is nothing that compares.

Richard said:
If you're a hard core gamer there is no alternative. CRT is the only choice. Perhaps sometime in the future (hopefully near) I'll have to ammend that statement. Though right now, there is nothing that compares.
Nah, I would actually recommend 17" 3ms LCDs to the gaming/lan party crowd. Lugging a CRT around without a Sherpa to do it for you is a pain in the butt... and the spine... and the shoulders... and the arms.

I have both and LCD is the only way to go IMO. I have very good eyes and with the newest LCD's you cant tell a difference between the two besides the fact that a LCD is a lot smaller in general than a CRT. LCD > CRT

Dell 2405FPW is a very good choice.

Yeah....My eyes are very sensitive...I would get sick if my refresh rate wasn't at least 85, and gaming with the 2405 has been wonderful so far....I've played FEAR, GTA:SA, Splinter Cell:CT at 1920x1200, BF2, D3, Q4 @ 1600x1200 ...and so far while playing, everyone looked better than when I played on a CRT...and I noticed no ghosting whatsoever.

but if the 80lb difference, space, heat, price, etc doesn't matter to you....than either way you will win!

Wow I can't believe how much the Sony GDM-FW900 has dropped in price, when I picked up this 21 Inch Monitor roughly Hmmmmmm maybe 2 years ago? I can't even remember, but those were still easily going on eBay for high $800. Damn you guys for showing me this, I'm going to end up buying one of these things in the future.

GDM-FW900>LCD

I'm passionate about CRT's what can I say Lol.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but your local Craigslist often has 19" 21" 22" and 24" crt's selling for a song. I found a local dealer here in northern NJ (Futureconnection in Garfield) selling the 24" FW900 for $375 and the older W900 (same as the dell 24") for $250. The difference between them: the FW900 has somewhat flatter glass .24mm dot pitch, higher max resolution.

Still deciding myself if i'm going to buy either, but the good part is the fellas at Futureconnection allow trade-ins of your old hardware and give you credit towards your purchase, which can come in handy (got a bunch of clean 17" crt's given to me recently which i can off-load ;))

OP: Personally i'd pick out a big, clean CRT and use that until SED displays become mainstream. You can always have a LCD down the line for another rig, or as a television ;)

linkage:

Craigslist: http://www.craigslist.org/

I just picked up a Lacie 21" Diamondtron off my local craigslist for a steal.
Been in heaven ever since.
I plugged it in and set it to 1600x1200 to match my Nokia 445xi and was like, "HOLY S*** those pixels are crisp, HOLY S*** those colors are beautiful" at which point I entered a state of nirvana (or a seizure, not quite sure yet) and sat in epileptic bliss at my desk...
Now I just need to save up enough money to buy a Cintiq 21ux and I will be set.

jivetrky said:
Yeah....My eyes are very sensitive...I would get sick if my refresh rate wasn't at least 85, and gaming with the 2405 has been wonderful so far....I've played FEAR, GTA:SA, Splinter Cell:CT at 1920x1200, BF2, D3, Q4 @ 1600x1200 ...and so far while playing, everyone looked better than when I played on a CRT...and I noticed no ghosting whatsoever.

I have to disagree with this statement. I know that ghosting is a subjective topic but I just can't see how anybody could fail to notice the ghosting on a Dell 2405 monitor, especially when compared with a good CRT.

I'll start off by saying that I have been gaming on a CRT monitor for as long as I can remember. When the new dell widescreen LCD's came on the market I decided I'de jump on the bandwagon and try one out. I ordered a 2005FPW and was blown away by how crisp it was -- very bright, very sharp, and the colors are very saturated.

I had my doubts about it being able to compete with my CRT (Viewsonic P95F+B) for gaming but was anxious to try it out. I'm a huge fan of the UT series and play UT2004 very often (15-20hrs / week). First run through a CTF match and I noticed the ghosting. I will admit that it is not a huge issue and I'm sure that some people would have no problem living with it. I decided that I would give it an honest attempt and try "living" with it for a couple weeks. For the next 2 months I played UT2004 religiously on my 2005FPW and it didn't take long before the ghosting no longer bothered me.

Well... a few months later one of my memory modules cratered and I had to send it back to OCZ for RMA. With my main rig down, I went back to my old P4 3.0C to play UT (monitor is also a P95F+B). I fired up UT and immediately noticed the CRT goodness. I dont really know how to explain it other than to say that the CRT feels so much smoother. I find it easier to track opponents and my accuracy with hitscan weapons (LG and shock) definately improves while using the CRT.

When my memory modules came back from RMA, I tried to go back to the Dell monitor but after playing on the CRT for a couple weeks, there was just no way that was going to happen. So.... i decided to run a dual monitor setup -- Dell 2005FPW, with a Viewsonic P95F+B.

A few things I should mention:

For fast FPS games like UTK4 -- I prefer the CRT hands down. While the Dell's image is much crisper (sharp and vibrant), the CRT is just so much smoother.

For slower paced games (where ghosting is not very noticable) like WOW, Dungeon Seige 2, AOEIII, etc... I prefer the Dell Monitor. I love the "pop" from the dell monitor. My CRT just can't compare with the sharpness / vibrancy of the Dell.

So I guess you have to decide what is important to you. With respect to the original poster:

If you are a hardcore COD2 gamer I highly recommend going with a good quality CRT. I own a Dell 2005FPW, Viewsonic P95F+B, and a Mitsubishi DiamondPro 930SB.... I have tested fast pased games on all these monitors and can tell you without a shred of doubt that the CRT's are definately superior.

Do you have anybody you could borrow and LCD from? If so, i would highly recommend you give it a try for a few days. Perhaps you will be able to live with the ghosting. There are many people on this forum who are very happy with the Dell monitors for fast FPS games. Unfortunately, I am not one of them.

-Adrayic

All I can say is that there must be a difference between the 2005 and the 2405 because I have been playing multiplayer in FEAR, BF2, and HL2DM for the last 3 days a a little mini lan party at my house.....and 5 or 6 people have played on this monitor (not including myself) and each of them experienced NO ghosting.
I suppose that it IS subjective...but, I would say, that with the 6 ppl that used mine this weekend and myself not experiencing any ghosting....I'd say that (my monitor at least) doesn't have problems with refresh.

jive -- I'm pretty sure the response times for the 2005 and 2405 are the same but there may be other differences between the two that result in one ghosting more than the other. I'm beginning to think that I am the only one who notices ghosting on the 2005FPW. Nevertheless, I feel that I should inform the original poster of my experiences..... even if they contradict the majority of other people.

Love your avator by the way :)

-Adrayic

I would say CRT. If you have the room to support that monitor, then I don't see why not save yourself 400 bucks and get it. Also I have not had a very knew one to compare with but I know some of the older (2 yrs maybe) LCD screens really lack in quality compared to a CRT.

A new twist has been added to the CRT vs LCD discussion, so I decided to revive this thread.

It has been discovered recently that LCDs suffer from signal lag. No, I'm not talking about ghosting or pixel response. It has been demonstrated at Anandtech, HardOCP forums and Widescreen Gamers forums that an LCD will display an image from 30 to 50ms later than an LCD. This can translate to 3 frames. On a fast action FPS this can mean you lose the battle because you see the image delayed compaired to your competitor if they have a CRT and you don't, (given that the ping is the same of course).

As I write this, HardOCP forums is down, and I've lost the link to Anandtechs forum entry. However, here's the WSGF thread on this topic: Clicky

I've seen pretty conclusive evidence. LCD image lag is a real issue if it is as much as 50ms. If you're playing an online game with a ping of, say, 60, you can pretty much add 50 to it for your real lag.

This is yet another reason why I'm leaning towards a $400 FW900 rather than a $1400 Samsung 244T. Granted, the FW900 is not a true 24 inch widescreen, but I can select from more resolutions too. I won't have to go to an SLI setup because a single 7800GT can't display 1900X1200 at >60FPS. I prefer a lower res higher fps display with eye candy turned on compared to high res, low fps with the IQ dumbed down.

That is a very interesting piece of information. It makes me happy I use a CRT because when it comes to online gaming my 55 year old reflexes need every advantage I can fairly obtain.:)

I bought the 2405FPW first. I tried to get used to the blur and then I found out the FW900 even existed. I didn't even know they had 24" widescreen CRTs. Well, I ended up trying both and then selling the LCD. I will wait for SEDs or something before replacing this FW900. It kicks butt. I think most if they did a head to head test with these two and was an fps gamer, would chose the FW900.

I saw all the articles on the lag and stuff, but at that point I had already decided to get rid of the 2405. I didn't want to find out.

Last edited:
Back