• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2560*1440 or 5760*1080 and what monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JR23

Right guys, just for some perspective currently I am rocking SLI 570's and triple Alienware AW2210 monitors.

I'm running out of HP with the 570's and plan to trade up a few series and models in the summer to either SLI Titans or SLI 780's or whatever's hot at the time but that's another thread! And when I get my new shiny hardware and finally finish off my rig I would like some new shiny monitors which will last until quality 4k panels properly get into affordable territory (i'm not buying the current $1300 ones so leave that out of the equation) as my Alienware panels are a bit old had and have very poor contrast and backlight bleed and not the best colour.

I have to move my rig to University once a year so I can't go too big and heavy on monitors but my 3x 21.5"'s seem manageable and so was my 32" LED TV.

Unfortunately I don't have an unlimited money cheat but seeing as they will cost a fraction of my graphics card setup I consider it worth it for nice monitors. I probably won't be buying for 3 months time but i'd just like to get a good picture of what to go for when it comes.

My Current Considerations are:

Dell Ultrasharp 27" 2560*1440 U2713HM - http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...&l=en&oc=U2713HM-Black&s=dhs&sbc=dell-u2713hm

3x Asus 24" 1920*1080 VN247H - http://www.asus.com/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/VN247H/

The triple Asus setup looks most favorable because I have been used to working and gaming on triple monitors for some time and I think I would honestly miss that. But the comments from 2560 guys about everyone living under a rock may well be justified so I thought it may be worth starting a small argument of my own, so opinions please.......

Also any experience with the Asus monitor and opinions on that would be most useful, Thanks,

JR

I would take the 2560x1440 over three 1080 monitors any day. The only thing is if you are used to three monitor setups, than it would be complicated for you to adjust. The only reason i can think of to get the 2560x1440 monitor is because in the future when you acquire more money, you could setup surround with those, and that would be a pretty beast setup i'd say for quite a few years. Just my 2-cents. :) Hope it helps!

Your right that would be pretty beast, possibly too beast for any graphics card setup I will ever acquire, I mean that's 50% more pixels than 4k! Can quad SLI Titans even run that kinda res :shrug:

I can see arguments for going to a single 1440p, when you get things that will only run on a single window like watching youtube videos or TV and the occasional game which refuses to play along with 5760. But most of those things are only 1080p anyway so would it even be any different?

That was why I was going for bigger 24" monitor in the triple setup as it really pisses me off playing a game on just one screen with my current setup, it's so last decade to have one 21" image.

BTW how do your dual Titans deal with 1440p?

JR

I haven't gotten my titans yet, still saving up. But i do know from tests that dual titans can run 2560x1440/1600x3 with great FPS and no overclocking required. I would say though, Save some money and get one 2560x1440P monitor, and put the money into your education, or something education related. Perhaps a laptop if you need one for class. I suggest a Macbook Pro/Air if it's education related. I've found them to be better when you're using them for school.

Well you say that but there isn't an enormous price difference between them. At the moment the Dells are about £450 and the Asus about £510.

I already have this badass...

P1130589.JPG

P1130595.JPG

JR

We have some dramatically different thoughts on what is/isnt mobile... LOL! That said, I would go with a 27 or 30" 2560x1440/1600 monitor personally.

I haven't gotten my titans yet, still saving up. But i do know from tests that dual titans can run 2560x1440/1600x3 with great FPS and no overclocking required.
You have to be sick of saying that... perhaps put something in your sig that says you will be ordering them soon, LOL!

ONE Titan can EASILY handle one 2560x1600 monitor and gaming. Hell I did it on a single 680 and 7970 as well with no problems...

I would go with the 2560x1440/1600 as well, one nice high resolution monitor > 3 lower ones where you don't gain much on the others.

It's perfectly mobile! Smaller than most books and it can still play games. :attn: Considerably more practical than my M14x.

I have a personal problem with any screen that isn't 16:9 so it would be a 1440. I do like the 2560*1080 29" super widescreen Dell monitor actually but so many things wouldn't fit the aspect ratio properly it would be monumentally annoying.

Do you not think the superior contrast ratio and response times of the Asus monitors would set them apart for gaming?

ONE Titan can EASILY handle one 2560x1600 monitor and gaming. Hell I did it on a single 680 and 7970 as well with no problems...

That's what I like to hear. I was talking to one guy who said he was going to get a third! Titan to run Crysis at 1440p, but I guess that's Crysis for you.

JR

There will always be an exception, absolutely.

Are you just switching avatars at random? LOL! I swear I have seen 3 since this morning! :p

I have only changed it once about half an hour ago. The gainward logo didn't look very good now the site has a light grey background so I switched it to the Corsair sail, lol.

You should think about changing it after you get them Darren, I always enjoy changing my sig when hardware arrives :D

JR

Heh, wait to you play with someone that has the same system as you... perhaps the term 'humble' will then be defined for you? Its not a feat of benchmarking to beat anyone out with lesser hardware. You just spent more money than others. ;)

Why is your mystical unknown graphics setup immensely powerful and your downgrading to Titans to reduce power consumption :D

Its mystical in that he doesnt own the GPUs yet, but its in his sig. There isnt any downgrading to it.

The mystical graphics i'm running now? Intel HD 4000... They're in my signature because i know i'm getting them, it's just a matter of when.

I doubt that. Whatever though xD I'm getting a 7970Ghz edtion soon to do some tests and a review, than the titans. I'm about half way there for one of the titans so far and i have enough in my third savings account for a 7970Ghz edition.

For the monitors JP..... it really depends on the games.

For Iracing, I could never go back to a single monitor. Games like Fallout and Skyrim... Triples all the way. I love looking around when I'm looking around :).

Right now 1082 monitors are the sweet spot. IMO in one to two years when reasonable GPU setups can push 7680 X 1440 (SC takes a minute to clean himself up) that is when I will jump to on that boat.

Back