• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2560*1440 or 5760*1080 and what monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would personally go for a smooth gaming setup, with good picture and no motion blur if I had one or two Titans.
Something with Lightboost/3d/144hz, you apply the 2d lightboost hack and BAM! Super smooth 120/144hz 1/2ms action with no motion blur, like good ole CRT's.

I'll be getting triple 7950s soon...those should pay for dual titans in no time :D lol

I'd like to add that Qnix has an overclockable 2560x1440 monitor, 317usd at ebay. Free shipping, 27" PLS monitor. It does between 96-120hz, and it's GREAT.

For the monitors JP..... it really depends on the games.

For Iracing, I could never go back to a single monitor. Games like Fallout and Skyrim... Triples all the way. I love looking around when I'm looking around :).

Right now 1082 monitors are the sweet spot. IMO in one to two years when reasonable GPU setups can push 7680 X 1440 (SC takes a minute to clean himself up) that is when I will jump to on that boat.

Ahh yes fair point, right now i'm big into Dirt, Grid, GTA, Mafia II, Portal, the odd other racing game. Cockpit view with surround is awesome and like you say looking around when your looking around and peeking out of cover with side monitors.

Super smooth point taken and I agree. Never going 3d, either it is rubbish or my eyesight problem won't let me see it so I wouldn't get the secondary bonus from having 144Hz 3d monitors. What happened to 120Hz monitors, is that cheap and mainstream yet?

Also I will be getting nVidia cards so monitor overclocking is a possibility, maybe I can get them to 85-90Hz.

120Hz monitors would be cool but i'm guessing that would be erm moderately expensive.

Thanks ivanlabrie but i'm over in England where tech is considerably more expensive. I know for a fact by the time i'd paid postage, paid import tax, got the right plugs, and finally received any tech from the US I may as well have just bought the top banana and have a huge warranty that I can just take back to the store if it goes screwy. That's kind of how I roll. Two years ago I bought a Panasonic 32E30 from our local family store and managed to barter a good deal. A couple of months ago it got two dead pixels in the lower centre of the screen. I took it back and was like dead pixels expecting them to say I needed about 4 more, they immediately sent it off and had it reconditioned and the panel replaced at no cost to me. I looked it up after and even for a Samsung panel 2 dead pixels would have been acceptable for a brand new TV!

JR

Last edited:
A bit OT, but I saw you can pre-order GRID 2 on Steam now :thup:

There's a few UK members here that can help point you to specific UK retailers. Off the top of I head I know Ajay57 is in the UK.

I'm going to play GRID2 at a GAME lock in on Sunday, I might just place a pre-order if its good. Or if i'm any good I might just win a free copy :D

JR

I was going to quick answer until I read that you like racing games. That's the only reason I believe 3x monitors is worth it. I had 3x23'' IPS 1080p dells with 580SLI on my previous rig. I didn't enjoy the setup a lot but that's because I play more FPS and RTS games, and for instance, in FPS like, at that time, Battlefield Bad Company 2, I had to lower the settings to have a smooth gameplay at 5760x1080p, and of course, for RTS, they all use 1 screen and it sucked having 2 huge black panels on the sides.

Now, with my new rig, I switched to a Dell 27'' 1440p and I love all the real state you have in the screen. The games look awesome and, since I also work with the computer, I love all the space you have, and, in case I need more, I have an 22 inches on the side. Also, even though I'm using 2 cards, I'm sure that with one TITAN you can run everything at max settings, allowing you to make a smaller rig, making it easier to move back and forth. Oh snap, I forgot you also save some big bucks too :)

A 350D Genie Titan build would be neat on a 1440p, that's probably what I should have! But I don't need to go smaller I have managed it for 3 years, only 2 to go, so roll out the power. I might go with SLI 780's yet but I do love the Titan cooler, hopefully it will become a little cheaper.

Seeing two black panels really puts me off too because it happens. Seeing the trees flash by on Dirt 2 just about makes it worth it. Should say also I have a G27 for those times. Which is why i'm very excited about GRID 2.

I think i'm talking myself into it now. :D

For the monitors JP..... it really depends on the games.

For Iracing, I could never go back to a single monitor. Games like Fallout and Skyrim... Triples all the way. I love looking around when I'm looking around :).

Right now 1082 monitors are the sweet spot. IMO in one to two years when reasonable GPU setups can push 7680 X 1440 (SC takes a minute to clean himself up) that is when I will jump to on that boat.

Agreed. I ran a 30" 2560x1600 IPS for a couple of years before switching to 3x1080 and greatly prefer the immersiveness of surround.
I occasionally game with my HT projector setup (135"), but even that, while cool, isn't the same experience as surround, imo.

Back