• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600K folding points(answer for cuda and dfonda)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Benchmark Data from a 2600K @ 4.6 GHz, 4GB 2133 Mhz CL9 ram, Win 7/WMware/Ubuntu 11.04. THis is my daily use machine.

Code:
 Project ID: 6900
 Core: GRO-A5
 Credit: 8955
 Frames: 100

Name: ChasR Big VM
 Path: \\CHASR-Desktop\fah\
 Number of Frames Observed: 300

Min. Time / Frame : 00:21:56 - 59,956 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:22:53 - 56,261 PPD

Benchmark Data from a 2600K @ 4.6 GHz, 4GB 2133 Mhz CL9 ram, Win 7/WMware/Ubuntu 11.04. THis is my daily use machine.

Code:

Name: ChasR Big VM
 Path: \\CHASR-Desktop\fah\

Min. Time / Frame : 00:21:56 - 59,956 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:22:53 - 56,261 PPD

Crap man!:fight: Could it be because of my cheap Mushkin memory? Got 2X 4GB sticks for $60 or so. Also, this is not my daily machine either, dedicated folder, so I'm at a loss ATM. I'm running it at 103 X 46, vcore=1.40V. Thanks for the info and I'll be happy to supply any further info needed. I can't remember the speed of RAM.

Attachments

• 2600 ram.PNG
    2600 ram.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Augie are you folding inside a Ubuntu 11.04 virtual machine like VM, like Charles is?

As long as you use the Linux ext3 file system, you can expect a Linux folder (even in a virtual machine), to earn more points than a Win 7 folder.

Also, Charles's rig is using faster RAM, which we know from his previous posts, also produces higher bigadv production.

This is my "cheap" 2600K folder on a gigabyte Z68 board clocked at 4.5GHz with 1800MHz ram, running with Linuxrouter's linux folding appliance on a usb stick:

Code:

Name: gigabyte
 Path: \\10.0.2.9\fah\

Min. Time / Frame : 00:22:45 - 56,756.4 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:23:07 - 55,411.4 PPD
 Cur. Time / Frame : 00:22:58 - 55,600.8 PPD
 R3F. Time / Frame : 00:23:04 - 55,346.7 PPD
 All  Time / Frame : 00:23:05 - 55,304.6 PPD
 Eff. Time / Frame : 00:23:17 - 54,803.6 PPD

Augie are you folding inside a Ubuntu 11.04 virtual machine like VM, like Charles is?

As long as you use the Linux ext3 file system, you can expect a Linux folder (even in a virtual machine), to earn more points than a Win 7 folder.

Also, Charles's rig is using faster RAM, which we know from his previous posts, also produces higher bigadv production.
LOL, are we back to folding in virtual *nix again?:D Nah, I'm %100 Windows ATM. Gawd man, I hardly remember what to do in *Nix anymore! I'm OK running a VM if that's what it takes, both my machines are running W7 Ult so that's no problem, which VM? Also, where's the guide? Is it in Jmtyra's excellent super-sticky, I'll find it if it's in there.;)

If you want to run a linux VM this is about as easy as it gets:
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=4464

Has samba built in with a web interface to configure your folding client and then monitor it on the network.
Thanks for the info TC, any issues to watch out for when running GPU's along with the VM or should I even try? I gots $1K worth of GPU's that I'd like to use too. I've got about 8hrs. to kill before my -bigadv finishes, darn thing is running at 48K PPD now just to stick it to me.:D

For those with Asus P67/H67 motherboards, make sure you have the latest BIOS version and that "Intel Virtualization Technology" is enabled under the CPU Configuration part of the BIOS (VT-d). This threw me for a bit since I'd not used VM's before. Otherwise installation took about 15 minutes...Nice! It started an A3 unit before I rebooted the VM so I'll report what TPF I'm getting once a bigadv is started.

Anyone have a way to have the VM and FAH6 start at system reboot?

For those with Asus P67/H67 motherboards, make sure you have the latest BIOS version and that "Intel Virtualization Technology" is enabled under the CPU Configuration part of the BIOS (VT-d). This threw me for a bit since I'd not used VM's before. Otherwise installation took about 15 minutes...Nice! It started an A3 unit before I rebooted the VM so I'll report what TPF I'm getting once a bigadv is started.

Anyone have a way to have the VM and FAH6 start at system reboot?

Thanks for the 'enable virtualization' tip, I would have scratched my head for more minutes than you as I had already installed VMWare but not run it yet.

As to BIOS updates, I never update unless my specific problem is addressed in the change log as I don't have a replacement UPS yet, I've heard horrible details of dead BIOS's when the power goes out in the middle of the update.;)

Thanks for the info TC, any issues to watch out for when running GPU's along with the VM or should I even try? I gots $1K worth of GPU's that I'd like to use too. I've got about 8hrs. to kill before my -bigadv finishes, darn thing is running at 48K PPD now just to stick it to me.:D
I believe the general rule of thumb is you should leave one cpu thread idle to feed the gpus (or maybe it's one cpu core per gpu?) Either way when you run gpus you can expect a noticeable decrease in production on the cpu side. In fact when I started using my gtx 480 on my 970 box the gpu production couldn't make up for the loss on the cpu side, so I finally quit folding on the card.

In the Summer especially, I would fold on the cpu only. Gpu folding uses a lot of power, and provides very little (if any), added folding benefit to a 2600k overclocked system, that is folding bigadv wu's.

I encourage you to test it yourself if you like, but it has been tested by ChasR and others, and I doubt very much if your 2600k system will be much different than the 2600k rigs that were tested, but your choice of gpu card may change things.

In the Summer especially, I would fold on the cpu only. Gpu folding uses a lot of power, and provides very little (if any), added folding benefit to a 2600k overclocked system, that is folding bigadv wu's.

I encourage you to test it yourself if you like, but it has been tested by ChasR and others, and I doubt very much if your 2600k system will be much different than the 2600k rigs that were tested, but your choice of gpu card may change things.
Ya, I kinda figured that out, I just thought 'perhaps in a VM' and GPU in one of my dreams.;) Thanks.:)

My #'s are from a native Ubuntu install...quite a difference.

Well since the 2600 is a dedicated folder anyways, I may as well go whole hog on *nix eh?;) Darn great numbers man, thanks.:soda: Now to go and brush up on networking.:)

Just thinking, I'll make it a dual boot for now though your 55K beats my CPU+GPU hands down. Really a no brainer but it leaves me flexible.;)

Last edited:

Yup! The A/C is telling me the same thing as it's just behind me. I'll go with GPU folding when the weather permits. Last winter my baseboard was basically off except for a few really cold days in a 200 sq.ft. room. That alone tells one to kill the GPU's until they're needed for heat.;) They're like incandescent light bulbs, not much light but makes plenty of heat.

Last edited:
Back